Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn #69546 14/07/15 4:59 PM
John Sandham Online Content OP
Hero
OP Online Content
Hero
I was surprised to hear that Hill-Rom Holdings Inc (HRC.N), makers of hospital beds and surgical products, have bought Welch Allyn for about $2.05 billion to expand into the point-of-care diagnostics market.
shocked

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/17/us-hill-rom-hldg-deal-welchallyn-idUKKBN0OX19020150617

Be Proactive and reactive.
Philips
Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: John Sandham] #69547 14/07/15 5:47 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Why were you surprised, John? think

Originally Posted By: Press Release

The deal "is the next step in our transformational journey," ... "It adds products and services to enable us to have scale, depth and breadth to bring more value to our customers."

Yeah, right. smile

Meanwhile, am I right in thinking that they've let go of (sold off, that is) Air-Shields to another well known "global" company? To be honest, I've given up trying to keep track of who owns what (whom) these days. Everything since BOC became Ohmeda has just been a vague blurr, as far as I'm concerned.

And who was it that W-A themselves acquired not so long ago? Schiller (to name but one) - but hasn't it changed hands again since then? As I say, it's a job to keep up.

Anyway, does it actually matter? As I may have mentioned before, to my mind "kit is just kit"; and a whole lot of it these days is just "plastic" junk anyway (regardless of company, whose logo is hanging off the side, or country of origin). Maybe the only noticeable outcome is when a "good" service department gets amalgamated (down-sized, more like) with a "bad" one - or vice-versa. whistle

Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: John Sandham] #69549 15/07/15 9:03 AM
Neil Porter Offline
Hero
Hero
As we are buying over 300 beds, Hill-Rom wanted to sell their bedside monitor (tablet size) with the beds. The staff here thought that they would get the same treatment as the airline monitors and that we would end-up with a load of unusable screens. I can see how the acquisition of Welch Allyn would work as they have been trying to sell their network software as well. Replacing a tablet with a vital signs monitor attached to the beds makes more sense.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: Neil Porter] #69550 15/07/15 9:22 AM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Mounted on Trumpf pendants? think

Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: John Sandham] #69551 15/07/15 12:23 PM
RoJo Offline
Hero
Hero
The same for most industries these days. Who makes it, from what parts supplied by whom and whose name is on it can be a very variable mix.
Add in to this the attitude of "It will make us money, snap it up; it is losing us money, drop it." and things just go round and round.
Robert

How can Philips and Laerdal sell the FR2 defib for example? Who actually makes it?

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: RoJo] #69552 15/07/15 12:29 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

... some back-street place in China, most likely. whistle

All of the above simply makes Tech Support all the more challenging, of course.

Not that the "money men" ever give a second thought to that. Nor indeed have they ever. frown

It's the same these days with motor vehicles ... you never seem to find the same engine twice when peering under the bonnet of a given model in a given year.

Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: John Sandham] #69557 16/07/15 8:25 AM
RoJo Offline
Hero
Hero
My brother had a Volvo that had a Renault engine my neighbour* has a Mitsubishi with a Ford engine.
I recently had a patient who worked at the ford Dagenham engine plant who said they made engines for several (rival?) companies there.
I know gear boxes are made by a few companies on behalf of the motor manufacturers.
And so with medical equipment. Buy a module stick it in and put on the badge of the person who asked you to make it for them.
Mindray were making the Datascope monitors for them for quite some time before they bought them up and started to sell the kit under their own name for example.
Robert

*Why did spell check want to drop the U from the word neighbour? I do not live in the US.

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: John Sandham] #69559 16/07/15 4:25 PM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
As usual these decisions would have been made by major money men over in the USA and everyone else will just have to deal with the consequences of it all. Hill - Rom USA did buy Air -Shields in the late 90s and there were a lot of problems here in the UK because their UK arm did not handle the merger well, by the time they started getting their act together Hill Rom USA decided it was time to punt the "Air Shields" division on again. The money men are the beneficiaries of this continuous merry go round of takeovers and acquistions, rarely the customer. Lets see the hassle this merger creates for its customers, until its time to punt it on again.

Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: kit] #69560 16/07/15 8:20 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: kit

The money men are the beneficiaries of this continuous merry go round of takeovers and acquistions, rarely never the customer.

Thought I would fix that one for you. whistle

Re: Hill Rom buy Welch Allyn [Re: RoJo] #69561 16/07/15 8:28 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Car (and van) engines - and other major auto components - have become commodities just like coffee, sugar, oil and so forth.

Manufacturer X goes to the global market and snaps up 50,000 1.8 litre 4-cylinder petrol engines (say). I doubt that he cares too much about quality, as almost all engines are "good" (enough) these days.

He then fits them to this year's car and vans ... then goes to market again when the next 50,000 needs to be bought in on a "Just In Time" (JIT) basis. The engine supplier may or may not be the same as before, and the same goes for the design ... and, later on, spare parts (in-)compatibility etc. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, KM, RoJo 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (John Sandham), 109 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
eldelcable, eng.maloudat, Vincenzo89, BTM, BigEric
9482 Registered Users
Events
Philips - National Conference
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,437
Posts70,736
Members9,482
Most Online1,391