Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mechanical engineering workshops
#71573 20/02/17 3:57 PM
Dave J Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
I am looking for other mechanical workshops who come under Physics dept's especially Radiotherapy. I would like to know what they do, how big they are and if possible to visit one or two. As I am now a one man band in Southampton.

Dave

Re: Mechanical engineering workshops
Dave J #72228 04/09/17 12:24 AM
Len Offline
Hi Dave
Our Clinical Engineering Department has 5 Electronic Techs and 2 Precision Techs, of which I am one.
Our workshops are next to each other and we service all of the medical mechanical equipment. We have 2 lathes, a mill, drills, grinders, band saws, welding equipment - gas arc and argon plus a heap of hand tools.
We repair, make parts to replace broken, make things from scratch and generally anything that staff bring in. Our workshop is about 10 x 15 meters. We would love to have you visit but we are in New Zealand.
It's a very interesting job.

Len #72234 04/09/17 4:46 PM
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

I envy you, Len. smile

As it happens, a couple of hours ago I picked up (from a second-hand book shop) Volumes I-III of "Engineering Workshop Practice" by Judge & Horner (1948). "Chapman" is another one I used to have (and may well pick up again if I see it - or rather, them [three volumes]).

Meanwhile, I have come across the odd "fully equipped" medical engineering department in the UK ... Gloucestershire Royal Hospital comes to mind.

But "back in the day", although British Military Hospitals (anyone remember those?) usually had a resident technician or two (or six), anything requiring the sort of resources you mention would have been carried out at the supporting Command Workshop.

Yet again, for the life of me, I cannot understand why the NHS does not have a similar system in place; 1st, 2nd, 3rd line etc..

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Dave J #72241 05/09/17 2:16 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Hello Geoff

We don't "make parts to replace broken, make things from scratch" modify existing objects etc because under EU laws if you make or modify anything it should be CE marked with all the associated rules, regulations, verification and the rest.

The threat or possible threat of future litigation is more than enough to stop innovation and cost savings in a regular EBME workshop.

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Lee S #72245 05/09/17 2:39 PM
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

That's one of the (many) reasons we voted to leave. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (potifer, vitapablo, mohammed_ewais), 540 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stu, Kacper, Project, Barrow, Xudoyberdiev
9633 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,540
Posts71,492
Members9,633
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020