Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72280 13/09/17 10:08 PM
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
Hi all, anyone have access to a policy document they would be able to share around the cleaning of fixed medical equipment. What do I mean? Think bedside monitoring or pendant mounted equipment in an ICU or theatre, that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance, Dave

david.cunningham@ncahs.health.nsw.gov.au

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Super Hero

Isn't cleaning of (all) equipment simply part of PM? think

Although I have to admit that I have come across many grotty examples of the types of equipment you mention in my time; in supposedly "clean" areas such as ICU, etc. - which just goes to support my view that properly conducted PM is, in actual fact, rarely carried out.

In one place (in the UK, NHS) that I did some work the cleaner in the CCU complained to the Ward Sister that I had made a mess on her (not so clean; more like wiped over with a dirty mop) floor - "all that fluff", wah, wah, wah. frown

Naturally, I suggested to the Sister (once she had finished playing with her 'phone) that she arranged to have the kit "serviced" a bit more often! whistle

TBH, access (by the biomed) if often the "problem" (or should that be "excuse"?); although there are usually ways around this if:-

1) You maintain good relations with user staff
2) You (and [or] your biomeds) are prepared to be flexible

What about x-ray systems and the like? I once came across a dead rat inside an x-ray control console. And spiders? Pah! I must have encountered a thousand or more in my time!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
I'm not talking about cleaning by BME but rather cleaning by nursing/domestic staff at the ward level. You know, dusting and stuff...........

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Super Hero

In short ... I think we should assume that it doesn't happen - and "move forward" from there. frown

In the UK most of the "cleaning services" are carried out by contractors; and regardless of what the Contract may or may not say, I suspect that most "cleaning operatives" prefer to avoid touching (anything they regard as) medical* equipment. In fact, I also suspect that medical staff advise them not to "touch anything", either.

Meanwhile, the nursing staff will always be too busy ... (too much kit; too little time) whistle

On the other hand, departments such as Operating Theatres often have regular "maintenance mornings" where they give their domain a good old digging out (that usually offers a "window of opportunity" for the biomeds to get in there, too) - and ICU's and similar occasionally get a Deep Clean if (and when) a particularly nasty bug has raised its ugly head.

I have sometimes thought that there could be niche opportunity for contractors to offer "special cleaning services" for equipment of all types; although, as I say, myself I would prefer that it was simply done as a matter of course during PM - at least that way the BME Manager could rest assured that it actually gets done (or at least that's what we hope).

No doubt there are various "policy documents" scattered around; but unless policies are enforced then they are simply exercises in Wishful Thinking. The approach these days (in the UK at least) seems to be:- mustn't upset "the workers" (we have a "no blame culture", don't forget); and then when things turn out to be "less favourable than expected", we have another round of "lessons shall be learned", etc., etc. (plus a few more policy documents, no doubt). Anything, that is, rather than having Managers grip the situation - and actually manage (also known as being a Leader).

* Especially anything that may mean using a step-ladder (wall-mounted monitors, services pendants, etc.)

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020