Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
Does anyone have a link to free online equipment evaluations?
Just googled and can't find anything, but I thought there was such a resource..., somewhere?

Be Proactive and reactive.
Super Hero
Super Hero

'Morning John.

Maybe you were thinking of Medcompare? think

It seems they have recently moved on.

On the other hand, Labcompare is still going.

You can also find reviews here ... but you need to register. smile

Then, of course, there's always good old ECRI - which is not free, unfortunately. frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
Thanks Geoff. I remember (years ago) that the Bath Institute (BIME) used to do some equipment evaluations - but can't find them either. frown

Super Hero
Super Hero

Ah yes, the infamous "Evaluation"(s) (and before that, HEI's) published by the (then) DHSS*. smile

If I remember rightly, Bath was the centre that produced the infusion pump reports; and very good they were too.

Other centres were also funded to carry out evaluation work; Cardiff did ESUs, Newcastle did ECG monitors ... etc.

* Actually, the Scientific and Technical Branch (STB) of the DHSS.

Scholar
Scholar
This is very bizarre, I have been called about this today by someone who wants to evaluate patient monitoring devices. I know the Supply Chain have evaluation forms for doing this type of work. However in my humble opinion it generally boils down to compatibility with other devices and cost. Just ask a certain infusion company who have recently did not get through a tender to the last 3 :-)

Super Hero
Super Hero

"Compatibility"? The colours didn't match the ambient decor? Or was it just the "preferences" of someone with influence on the staff? think

"Cost"? Yes; why not? It's as good a marker as any. Just as long as it's a calculation of "total lifetime cost", including consumables and (dare I mention it) maintenance.

Meanwhile, from what I've seen many (or even most) Patient Monitors are made by the same OEM, anyway. That is, there's very little to choose between them.

These things (that is, the selection of which new equipment to go for) are often dealt with more simply in the so-called "developing" nations. I'll leave it to you to read between the lines on that one. whistle

Anyway, my advice to biomeds has always been to leave it to the staff to choose their own equipment. In other words, try to keep out of it. Otherwise you'll only end up getting the blame when the novelty wears off a little later down the line (and they'll ignore your comments about maintenance and training, anyway). In my experience, we never even got a nice lunch (or even a new Biro) from the sales rep! smile

Scholar
Scholar
"Cost"? Yes; why not? It's as good a marker as any. Just as long as it's a calculation of "total lifetime cost", including consumables and (dare I mention it) maintenance - Cost is a major player in any evaluation at the moment, I agree that we have to look at the whole lifetime costs of the device purchased but most folk only look at the initial saving.

Hero
OP Offline
Hero
I have to disagree with you Geoff about 'keeping out of it' i.e. the buying of equipment.
In my experience, EBME engineers are the best people to support the medical staff in making sensible decisions around 'value for money'.
I do agree that includes life costs, but it also includes working with the users to identify the potential patient benefits, user benefits (ease of use, easy to keep clean, etc), and organisational benefits (in terms of efficiency gains across the hospital versus costs)

See:Evaluating equipment

think

Scholar
Scholar
Tell you what, let the medics decide what to purchase and keep the techs out of it. Its one way to ensure that we keep getting employment. I am more than happy to bill someone £150 for a call out to change a cuff or SPO2 probe plus 20% mark up on any spare. I personally billed someone £189 plus travel for a call out because they could not fit a pole clamp to a syringe driver, 30 second job but a good half days work for me.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 587 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020