Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hey Hannis, I was mightily heartened (surprised, even?) to note 42 downloads of your old clunker “TaskMaster”. I wonder if any of those people actually use it, ha, ha! If so, how much bugs have they found, ha, ha! Very kind that you give away the source code. Just wonder how many Blazers we could have bought if you had charged 100 dollars for each!

Did you ever get a Windows version out from the door (and did you get any farther with the Clipper version)? Things are much the same here, but your presence is still felt!

Ciao, Mo.

Sage
Sage
Too many aitches Mo, he used to be referred to as " ey annis " laugh laugh laugh

Super Hero
Super Hero
Hello Mo. It’s about time you stopped lurking and actually made a post. But don’t you remember I emailed you a Windows distro? Perhaps all that sid has addled your tiny brain, Mate. Anyway, I’ve just sent another for you to roundly condemn. And how many would pay US$ 100? Not many I should imagine (and, anyway, in the UK NHS computer systems have to cost £ thousands just to convince people that they’re any good)!

Haven’t done much of interest these last couple of years. My unsettled “lifestyle” is not conducive to coding, unfortunately. As always, there’s no sign of any patronage. If truth be told, biomed is not really where it’s at, is it? I mean, I don’t see the “next great app” being an equipment maintenance system somehow, do you? But, yes, I would be willing to have a go if someone was willing to pay. And the web-based idea must be the way to go now, surely?

Yes, Mate, FoxPro, dBASE and Clipper were all great (still are, in my opinion). But it’s a bit like comparing a GameBoy with a PSP, is it not? The world has moved on. Still playing with your GameBoy? Haven’t you heard – the Nintendo Wii is going to be the “must have” this Christmas (oh, sorry Mo, I meant Holiday Season). smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero
It's gratifying to note there have been 46 downloads from this site of TaskMaster, the venerable DOS-based clunker. Twelve years old, and still going strong!

I hope that some of the downloads have been put to good use. I should add that I've yet to receive any user feedback, whether good, bad or indifferent!

Sad Chap that I am proud to be, the Christmas break has given me a chance to catch up with some maintenance coding, and I shall be happy to email-attach the latest distro to anyone who's interested.

I note (to my dismay, and despite my best efforts) that the TaskMaster DOS distro does not run readily under Win XP (ie, under the resident "DOS-box", what Win XP calls cmd). This is in contrast to Win 98 SE and Win 2000 wherein the DOS-box can be set up to run this "legacy program" OK. All part of Microsoft's efforts to kill off DOS programs, I wonder? After all, with 1 Gig of RAM to play with, I should be able to run hundreds of virtual DOS machines, surely? I am on the look-out, then, for a decent third-party DOS emulator to use instead of the miserable effort that comes with XP.

As I’ve mentioned before, not everyone in the world has access to (or needs) the latest technology. I recently bought a pile of old (> 10 years) Toshiba laptops off eBay, and find that the DOS version of TaskMaster works very well on these (low-spec, well-built) machines. Ready to do useful work, and very clear in monochrome too!

Meanwhile, the Windows version of TaskMaster works just fine, and I plan to offer this one, too, as "freeware" as a gesture of goodwill to all, at the end of Eid, inshallah. Then I hope to make a start on the next project!

Anybody fancy having a go can get in touch by Personal Message, email or whatever. Cheers.

And lastly, the good news for DOS-lovers is that DOS Navigator is now available as “freeware”. Check-out the RIT Labs site . Enjoy! smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
Everything’s cool now with running DOS TaskMaster on Win XP. I’ve made the simple change needed. In fact, as I had hoped, I can now run as many DOS incarnations as I need on a single machine, limited only by the amount of RAM available. So, I take it all back, perhaps it is progress after all. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
It's gratifying to note there have been more than 60 downloads from this site of TaskMaster, the venerable DOS-based clunker. Twelve years old, and still going strong!

There has been a bit of work on this program over the winter months, so the download version is now out of date. There are also a few bugs in there (as always). I have agreed with Huw to submit the latest DOS version, plus a Windows version too. Trouble is that I don’t have a great deal of time to polish-up these distros at present, but still feel a bit guilty that people are downloading an earlier version.

So, if anyone wants to have a go with either version (DOS or Windows) as they currently stand, they could do worse than get in touch by private message or email. I would then be happy to email-attach the latest offering as a .zip file. Better yet, if anyone out there uses FoxPro, you can try the source code and have a go yourself! smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
This year’s effort (7.04) is now available at the Downloads section. With over 70 down-loads of the previous version, somebody out there must be interested! Might as well have the latest version to play with, guys. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
I’m pleased to note that there have been more than 90 downloads from the Downloads | Miscellaneous section of this site of TaskMaster, the venerable DOS-based clunker. It’s yet another wet Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, and I now have the Windows version more of less ready to "ship". If anybody wants this, better get in touch via email or PM and I’ll email it to you on the condition that you try it and let me know how you got on. I should mention that I have yet to receive any feedback from the DOS version downloads, which is a pity. These programs look a bit dated now, but still continue to be useful (to me, at least). You can get an idea from this link. If anybody still uses FoxPro 2.6 for DOS or Visual FoxPro 6.0 (or higher), you can have my source code if you want to have a play yourself. Lastly, as I don't have a lot of time for coding these days, if anyone wants to buy all my code, and then develop it further - well, let's say that I'm open to offers! smile

Please count me in aoisaac@gmail.com

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Back to the original post on this thread … having survived the hard winter, and now chilling out a bit whilst enjoying the summer one flower at a time, I’m now brimming with new ideas (…perhaps it’s that stuff I like to smoke, or maybe just the Jack Daniel’s. Ha, ha). It’s also getting too hot for basketball, and I’m being laughed at on my skate-board these days (who says I’m too old? Define “too old”)!

Anyway, having failed to raise any interest in sponsorship, how about the idea that we develop the new system right here, in open forum, on this website? I propose that we thresh out an agreed specification for the New System, then code it ourselves, step by step, whilst welcoming contributions from the entire community along the way.

Personally, I prefer to code in FoxPro, but I know that others have favourites of their own. So wouldn’t it be fun to code to the same spec in any or all of the usual platforms? I envisage writing my own code in FoxPro, then sharing it via email attachments. Others could code, say, in Access and then share that. How does that sound?

Having binned my guitar, and broken my motor-cycle, personally I’m ready to rock!

Kaz smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 587 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020