Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted by Herman Moes

Do you also keep track of the life cycle of different brands ...

Do you mean the equipment lifetime (in years)? Surely such a figure is intially planned (estimated, anticipated) ... and is only known for sure "after the event" (once the equipment has finally given up, and has been junked)? And even then may well be a "one off", and not not truly representative across the "brand" - which, in any case, may have "moved on" (or even "up") after the passage of a number of years.

Apart from anecdotal (or personal) bias ... perhaps based on previous experience, or the reported experience of others - as well as perceptions based upon such factors as low (relative) price and what looks and feels like "poor quality" - how can we say initially that one brand is likely to have a shorter in-service life when compared with any other?

Other factors (such as maintenance - or lack of it, availability of parts, service support, user care and attention [or abuse], lack of use [sitting in the stores for most of its life], heavy usage ... and no doubt many more "unknowns") usually apply. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
Hi. Herman
It does not matter which brand, 60% of the initial cost is the cut-off point, risk management (which we are still working on) will establish not only the brands but the equipment that is most prone to failure

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, Neil; as you know, I'm a supporter of the "Risk-Based PM Model" ... but again, to start with the risk assessment is simply predictive (based upon an informed Best Guess), and in any case usually only sets the initial interval between PM visits. Only after a few - or perhaps, many - PM cycles does a true pattern of equipment reliability emerge.

At that stage, a good PM system allows adjustments to be made - generally reducing or increasing the interval between PM visits accordingly, as well as (possibly) reviewing the Risk Factor(s) settings.

In many situations I have seen (or should I say, suffered) - and, indeed, studied - the PM schedule never reaches that happy state of equilibrium (that is, too few PM cycles on which to base an informed judgement). frown

With PM (and as you know), you have to be in it for the Long Haul. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted by Neil Porter

60% of the initial cost is the cut-off point ...

You might want to consider making that 60% of replacement cost, Neil. smile

Dreamer
Dreamer
Thanks Geoff,

I had several discussions with CSSD and Biomeds and too often I hear complains about why the bought that Sh*t product again as the break to often. I aim to make a visibility report that can be clear in costs between brands. Thus based on CSSD and Biomed information an items gets " 0 - 5 stars" based on their work.
Last week example:
A costs 50 K , B 65 K
A lasts 1 years, B 6 years:
A monthly issues, B twice PPM
purchaser buys : A.
Also I want to connect the amount of time required to get parts in connection with "flexible" manufacturers/suppliers that may cost the biomed next to time, a great deal of headache.

Dreamer
Dreamer
I mean life cycle as in years and uses, depending on the type of equipment.

I had a guy tell me he had the best US in the world, 13 years old, still same probe. But uses it 1 x per 5 -6 months.
Picture has horrible by the way. Future parents will certainly not know from this guy if its a boy or girl.

Dreamer
Dreamer
Neil,
i agree there, We seek to get biomed more involved through what we want offer. Thus biomed and CSSD become more key - stakeholder rather than the "washing machine" or the "mechanic".

Super Hero
Super Hero

@Herman:- in reply to all your points ... things are obviously a bit "different" where you are.

Hint:- you need more wasta, Mate. smile

Who is the "purchaser"? Follow the money!

Hero
Hero
Once the specifications are prepared we will sit with the end-user to modify if required, the technical committee will include the end-user and biomed, a representative from the purchasing department will be there and it is not too difficult to convince them as to the reasons why we are taking the more expensive unit.

As mentioned earlier I will take all the offers and compile them into one sheet to highlight the differences between the offers and to clarify who is not offering the full package as required by the end-user.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Dreamer
Dreamer
Geoff,

Luckily it was not me losing a job, the wasta issue in our region is highly rated and much more important,
mitigating wasta is very difficult here.Influences by the culture within often separate departments and make it difficult to break through. It often does not align with the "individual goals".

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 72 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DarrenRai, Arasli, qrzdx?, nealzal, Umaru Ayoub
9,882 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,791