29/06/18 09:38 AM
UK
BSM Offline OP
Master
BSM  Offline OP
Master
UK
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the amount of driving an on-call EBME engineer would be expected to do. I am looking into the development of a SOP specifically related to on-call engineers driving duties (both in-hours and out-of-hours) to mitigate (as far as possible) the risks of driving fatigue. Your input would be most appreciated.

Do you provide an out-of-hours on-call service where they will be expected to drive to a location other than your main base of work?
Do you provide an out-of-hours on-call service where they will be expected to drive to a patients home?
Is their a maximum time/distance you cover out-of-hours? If so, what is the limits you are required to adhere to?
When driving to locations, are you advised to take designated rest breaks? If so, what are they?
Do you have a SOP or Policy for on-call engineer driving duties?
Is their a maximum time you are allowed to be on duty in any 24 hour period?

Thanks for your time.

Re: EBME On-call driving duties [Re: BSM] #73466
29/06/18 10:28 AM
29/06/18 10:28 AM
the path less trodden
Geoff Hannis Online content
Super Hero
Geoff Hannis  Online Content
Super Hero
the path less trodden

Are techs expected to use their own vehicles? If so, what about insurance?

Also ... how do they claim for fuel and what-have-you? And how much (how is the rate of reimbursement calculated)?

Is the requirement to drive (and, of course, hold a licence) included in job ads. and job specs?

What if someone declines to join in the "fun"? whistle

BTW, I doubt that "driving fatigue" would be a real issue. Unless, that is, you are covering the whole of Great Britain and (or) your techs are being asked to drive HGV's - in which case there are laws which apply! As many will be aware, company service engineers routinely spend a high percentage of each working week "on the road". That's one of the reasons I (for one) packed in doing that kind of work. After all, there's not much "motoring fun" to be had on England's over-crowded roads these days.

Re: EBME On-call driving duties [Re: BSM] #73467
29/06/18 10:53 AM
29/06/18 10:53 AM
UK
BSM Offline OP
Master
BSM  Offline OP
Master
UK
Hi Geoff,

In this context, I am not referring to the use of your own vehicle, but the use of Trust/Company cars or vans. From my perspective, the requirement to drive is asked for in the job ad, and as such, you have no real excuse not to join in the "fun".
I am interested to see if ANYONE has a SOP or Policy in place to cover driving for several hours, particularly OUTSIDE of your working hours.

Re: EBME On-call driving duties [Re: BSM] #73470
01/07/18 09:44 AM
01/07/18 09:44 AM
Kent UK
I
Ian Chell Offline
Scholar
Ian Chell  Offline
Scholar
I
Kent UK

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, KM, RoJo 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Lee Bradley, Geoff Hannis, M K, Rallium), 632 guests, and 42 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,226
Posts69,607
Members9,248
Most Online1,391
Mar 26th, 2018