Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
leonius #73441 21/06/18 1:47 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

You were doing OK until I got to this:-

Originally Posted by leonius

I still see the need to have a big brother and have found an already regulated one.

Why? frown

And then, which one?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
exitwound #73442 22/06/18 9:48 AM
Expert
Expert
.Isn't it nicer to have someone else say you are doing a good job. I know we do a good job, but no one who pays listens to me.
The difficult my team do immediately the impossible takes longer.

leonius #73471 03/07/18 2:45 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

"The impossible we do in a day. Miracles take a little longer." - Brigadier (later Major-General) Orde Wingate (Burma 1943). smile

exitwound #74222 21/05/19 3:17 PM
Master
Master
Is it time IPEM gave up on the RCT and simply insist all those working in healthcare signed up to a PSA recognised credentialing register? The UK med tech industry has set up a not-for-profit organisation to allow any company or individual to register, providing they meet the minimum requirements. These are far less onerous than those for the RCT and do not require specific degree level qualifications to join. Take a look at https://lifescienceindustry.co.uk

MikeX #74224 21/05/19 4:52 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

What's wrong with IPEM? At least they produce some useful documents.

And no - I'm not a member.

Why do we (you) need yet another "register"? think

In fact, why do we (you) need any "register"?

Meanwhile, how much does membership of this "not-for profit" organisation cost (annual fees, and what-have-you)?

exitwound #74225 21/05/19 6:26 PM
Master
Master
Nothing wrong with RCT (or IPEM) but their entry requirements are far too high for most engineers working on medical equipment and often assume you actually work in a medical physics of EBME department

Unfortunately, many hospitals now mandate some form of credentialing to allow access to hospitals. The department for health requested a common scheme be developed for this function, which how the LSI one came about. Many of the schemes adopted by hospitals are not appropriate for those working on medical equipment, as they are designed for works departments dealing with electrical contractors and other infrastructure related trades.

The LSI scheme costs £30 per year for individuals.

Above the RCT scheme the LSI has a photo ID card to positively identify individuals that include a GS1 bar code, which the NHS is mandating for individuals as well as products.

MikeX #74226 22/05/19 9:53 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Pity they don't have something similar to identify entitled patients! whistle

exitwound #74229 24/05/19 1:04 PM
Master
Master
Maybe in part our American colleges are a little to blame as every one in the Biomed world in the US seems to have some form of degree, with their BMET Biomedical Engineering Technologist title. Where as in Europe most degree level types would want to classed as an Engineer, here in Italy they also use the title of Dottore…. just what you would call a Biomed that also has a PhD only God knows.

exitwound #74230 24/05/19 1:13 PM
Master
Master
Not really the same argument, but…. as I was leaving my life in olive drab, the Physiotherapists managed to gain Officer status, with the knock on effect that the Rad and Lab tech's started their movement for the same (or maybe the other way around) however it did free up some very nice rooms in the Sergeants Mess……
Don't now the actuality today but maybe our REME grandsons are the only NCO's left….

Malcolm #74233 24/05/19 2:57 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

The American (that is, USA) degrees didn't used to be viewed as being the same as (equivalent to) "ours". Back in my time in Desert locations, our (my) HNCs were classed an "Associates Degree" in American terms.

Yes, I have also worked with Italian biomeds; one of them had the temerity to mention the "doctor" thing, but apart from that (him) I don't recall anyone else ever bringing it up - probably to avoid the "mirth" it would have generated, I suspect! whistle

What to call a biomed with a PhD? Ask John. smile

Actually, they seem to be quite common amongst American biomeds - many of whom are also CCE - who then seem to prefer to step away from "hands-on", to start telling everyone's Granny how to suck eggs!

I was around when RAMC male nurses with SRN started getting commissions. After all, the QARANC SRNs were commissioned as Nursing Sisters, so why not. It's called equality, I guess. Although I must admit that I prefer "tradition"* myself.

I knew a couple of REME tiffys who reckoned that transferring to the medics might improve their chances of gaining a commission. Not sure that any of them actually did it, though. Although back in those days I never came across an RAMC Stores Officer who wasn't an "ex-ranker". As an aside, there was also some talk at one time of getting the RAMC to take on the "electro-med" trade (and thereby offer a modicum of a structured career path through the ranks). I also recall an heretical proposal to transfer the whole trade to the RAF (MDSS, and all that); to be honest, at the time I could see the merit in that idea myself!

It seemed to me that ex-ranker officers rarely got placed in decent (interesting) jobs, anyway. Unless, of course, being Wines Member at Arborfield was your "thing". Back in the Day, the main REME medical equipment workshop in BAOR was in the charge of an ASM (WO1) - and it was far better for it, too (after that it became a Captain's post).

Meanwhile (although I'm pleased to report that I managed by and large to avoid them wherever possible), I don't remember ever coming across a REME officer who had transferred in from some other Corps (etc.) - although during my time we did see the odd ex-RE Marine Engineer and what-have-you coming across as a Vehicles tiffy. We also suffered a few "direct entrant" tiffys (blokes coming straight "from industry", given sergeant rank and loaded straight away onto their tiffy courses) ; even in the Electronics trades - needless to say, however good (or perhaps, bad) they were, they weren't universally welcomed by the blokes. frown

* Nursing Sisters were given officer status in order to "protect" them; as well as affording them whatever decent accommodation was available. Don't forget also that back in those days, Nursing Sisters were generally fine, "posh", ladies! That is, women of a "certain class".

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020