Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73778 15/11/18 1:11 PM
Adaml Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi all,

I hope you all are well. Does any one know of a system that patients can report for "pain"?
A busy department asked such question and I don't personally know of anything that could work.

They want to manage patients pain and like a nurse call, respond to that or keep track of the pain. They do not want to use a PCA, so while I am sure there is something out there I have never been asked this before I admit!

Though what sounds like a easy fix, a handset that can be pressed to report to a monitor... you have issues such as cross infection, damaged handsets/ theft...abuse of the button.. etc etc..

hmmm!

Siemens Healthineers
MES Worcester - Workshop Supervisor
Adaml #73779 15/11/18 8:40 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

If I remember rightly, CTG's (Cardiotocographs) have had a button since the Dawns of Biomed for the mother to press when contractions were felt - and a mark would be produced on the printout ... so maybe there's a start for you there. smile

Regarding all the other "issues" you mention Adam, surely they are a "given" in our line of work.

Meanwhile (and off the top of my head), if you are starting from scratch (as it were), I would probably think in terms of doing something using Bluetooth technology.

But if you're at the "prototyping" stage - take a look at Data Loggers (as that, in essence, is what you would be doing).

On the other hand, why not just use the Nurse Call? think

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Adaml #73789 23/11/18 12:37 PM
Adaml Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi Geoff

Hope you are well and thank you for the reply, knew you would be able to help smile I used to post on here as my old username... we spoke many years ago when my father used to do surgical instrument repairs back in the day.

Why not use nurse call, well without going too deep into politics... patients are not where they should/used to be? if you get me..

You would think it would be a given in our line of work but infection control would not agree..

Siemens Healthineers
MES Worcester - Workshop Supervisor
Adaml #73790 23/11/18 2:39 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes Adam ... I remember. I also recall where I encountered your Dad's van. A few years ago (ten or more?) now. smile

But regarding your "problem"; well, anything and everything is possible with technology, as we all know.

In order to advise further, we really need to know where the "pain reports" are to be sent (and logged); and - what form should these reports take ... patient ID plus a time and date stamp? A 1 to 10 indication of severity? think

Send to a Central Monitor (of the type found in ICU)? Send to the hospital paging system (do they still have them)? SMS to an individual nurse or doctor (and/or group of carers)?

If patients are mobile, then a fair variety of options come to mind. Depending upon how far they are likely to roam, you could be thinking in terms of radio! If they are wandering about "in the community" you could consider GPS! smile

In these sad times there is plenty of stuff on the web about Electronic Tagging.

The bottom line here is:- what's the design spec (detailed users requirements)?

Adaml #73792 24/11/18 8:33 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Actually it was twelve years ago (checked last night); it's amazing how quickly the years have flown by! smile

Adaml #73793 25/11/18 10:32 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Perhaps some variation on the mobile duress systems might work

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020