Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Angus Offline OP
Savant
OP Offline
Savant
May I ask if anyone has a procedure or written guidelines of protective equipment with the clinical engineering environment?
Much appreiated.
Angus

Master
Master
Hi Angus and do you mean the work shop or the harsh envoronmental environment?
Paul

ERRATIC MEANS STATIC SO BE ERRATIC AND NOT STATIC
WE ARE ALL IN THE NHS AND THIS IS
"ERRATIC AND STATIC"
Angus Offline OP
Savant
OP Offline
Savant
Hi Paul. I’m looking for a policy that relates to the workshop and indicates what equipment would be required. Cheers.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

It obviously depends on how well equipped the workshop is, Angus. For instance, if you're lucky enough to have machine tools (such as pedestal drills, lathes and what-have-you) then you'll need stuff like protective gloves, goggles and (maybe) aprons.

In every place where I had "influence", I always had the blokes smartly turned out in (blue) "lab coats". Other than that, a sharps bucket plus a box of surgical gloves could usually be "borrowed" from within the hospital(s).

I also generally managed to scrounge a lockable steel cabinet - for "hazardous substances" (and "attractive items"). See COSHH, and its mates RoHS and WEEE.

Either way, I always liked to insist on a sink or hand basin - so at least I didn't have to leave the workshop in order to fill the kettle! smile

But as regards "policy" - why not just draw up your own (based upon "local conditions" - and, more importantly - what you actually want)?

I don't know if this is what you are driving at, Angus - but many biomeds used to be keen on having the mains power outlets on benches fed via an isolating transformer (although I must say that I always managed without, myself; although I have been known to use an RCD when I felt it necessary - especially in "damp" locations).

Unless, of course, you were thinking of Health Building Note (HBN) 34. I have attached a copy of this ancient document, entitled "Estate Maintenance and Works Operations" (but it does cover the "EME Department") in the hope that it may be of some use.

Attached Images
HBN 34.pdf (482.04 KB, 13 downloads)

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Angus Offline OP
Savant
OP Offline
Savant
Thanks for the info, Geoff. I found your comments and the document you sent extremely useful. Cheers mate.

Master
Master
If you use an isolation transformer for bench mains supplies you need to ensure you also have an appropriate insulation monitoring device fitted. If not you would never know if a potentially dangerous first fault to earth had occurred. To this end using RCD protected supplies is more sensible.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

You can also carry an RCD with you as part of your kit ... then plug it in wherever* you are working. Thoroughly recommended.

They are also cheap to buy! smile

* Buildings with wiring of "unknown" quality, veterinary premises (cowsheds, stables), "wet" (humid, or "damp") locations etc.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Savant
Savant
Mike X is entirely correct to always use an RCD.

However may I also add that the English Dept of Health published guidance in 2017 - this will be used by the other UK Health Depts and is a good reference.

HTM06-01

In this document, 15.43 states that workshops should be treated as a Medical Location. I am not going to argue how you can interpret the guidance but the first post specifically asked for a policy that refers to workshops.

RCD use is the best protection but would also suggest you carry a socket tester to make sure the socket-outlet earth is good in the more hazardous areas you mention

Last edited by Ian Chell; 21/02/19 8:34 AM.
Angus Offline OP
Savant
OP Offline
Savant
Many thanks for everybody's input. Its much appreciated.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
7 members (Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, Yousri, Neil Porter, carl ray, Huw, daisizhou), 583 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020