Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello All,

I was curious whether any other trusts or EBME teams incorporate the RCT (Register of Clinical Technologists) as an essential criteria for B5 and above? I would also like to enquire to the benefit this has to the individual, the department, the trust. The RCT clearly states it is voluntary but it is a mandatory registration for any Technicians B4 and below to achieve promotion to B5.

Opinions?

Many thanks,

Coley

Expert
Expert
I am a member of the RCT and have been so for around 10 years. I have colleagues at band 6 and 7 who are members too. However at my trust it is not a requirement at all. More of a personal choice

Rock the boat.... Get yer coat!
Todays Solutions are tomorrows problems!
Hero
Hero
Does this register actually make a difference to our community? Does it make any difference to your chance of getting a job? I remain to be convinced of the benefits...

Be Proactive and reactive.
OP Offline
Hi John,

Well in my personal circumstance a B5 post requires an RCT membership, I applied so I would progress my career and my portfolio was rejected because my current banding states I only work to HND/HNC. As a number of people have stated they are becoming very particular, I have slaved away trying to prove that the work I do is that of or equivalent to a B6 biomed but they wouldn't acknowledge any of my 20,000 word portfolio containing substantial evidence due to the job banding description, very frustrating.

I was just curious to see if any other trusts or companies had incorporated the RCT as a pre-requisite for employment or in my case progression, as I like you John do not understand the relevancy or benefit of a membership.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Only HNC? Are we saying that a time-served bloke who started off with City & Guilds doesn't get a look-in these days?

Who are these people (the RCT) ... do they consider themselves to be the Gods of Biomed? think

On a positive note, and as I have mentioned on here many times before, I believe that the American examination based Certification schemes (CBET, CCE et al) are the way to go.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
Philosopher
The person most likely to get struck off the RCT is probably not the person who would join. So if registration is necessary being voluntary the people it should be safeguarding the public from is not in their remit. Technically their only action is basically censuring and not sanction as it is not essential for employment. (seen some NMC cases and they can be savage)

It does check who is carrying out CPD checks but then again IEng/CEng status does the same, but when has IEng status been an essential requirement?

Super Hero
Super Hero

... perhaps it should be. smile

To my mind, it would make more sense.

Scholar
Scholar
My own take of the rct, of which I am a member, is that it is a vastly useful measure of a persons professional development in our field. I can promote an individual as far as I can (metaphorically) but could that be just my opinion or bias, within a limited scope of my operational activities, and unfair to the development of an individual and the opportunities that may exist beyond my field of influence? The rct is a specific yet an independent measure/overview assessment of that persons credibility, experience and working practices that is scrutinised and deliberated over. I think it has immense value as an independent assessment of experience, training, personal development AND practice. As it’s a voluntary register we don’t use it as essential for band 6, but I personally, outside of working constraints, think it should be an essential. It’s so good for the individual especially I feel in this field as it is quite specific, more so than other professional registrations that are more generic in my opp. It is also not even a desirable for our band 5 posts, however I do encourage our band 5’s to apply for, with the portfolio of evidence they have amassed in their career as that very self same independent assessment to ensure that we are developing our teams appropriately too.

Last edited by Steveddie; 05/07/19 10:50 PM.
Super Hero
Super Hero

I had to read that post twice ... you're having a laugh, right (I notice your post was written late in the evening)?

Are you suggesting that the "wise ones" at the RCT should now be deciding who gets "promoted"? If we are going down that route - and we want "fairness" - I think it would be better if a National institution had National promotion boards (that is, along the lines of the Armed Forces). smile

How does "promotion" work in the NHS, anyway? I'm assuming that vacancies arise, they get advertised far and wide, then candidates apply ... to be called for interview etc., etc. Of course, there have been cases (or so I have heard) where a "preferred" candidate (generally already in-house) is standing by, but the post still needs to be advertised according to the Rules and then a number of interviews carried out (fair enough, in my view). After all, I hope we have a meritocracy (at least of sorts).

Does anyone ever get promoted "out of the blue" - when still in post - whether such promotion is welcome (by the one being promoted) or not?

And lastly, I wonder where the RCT stands on the "box ticking" elements of employment:- gender equality, ethic diversity, "inclusion", quotas, transparency, "ageism" ... and any other that I may have overlooked?

By the way - in case anyone gains another impression here - my own interests remain firmly in the camp of:- ability to do the job.

Philosopher
Philosopher
Originally Posted by Geoff Hannis
Are you suggesting that the "wise ones" at the RCT should now be deciding who gets "promoted"? If we are going down that route - and we want "fairness" - I think it would be better if a National institution had National promotion boards (that is, along the lines of the Armed Forces). smile

Have you ever seen an RCT representative at a Trust deciding who gets promoted or not, it's just another standard that's out there that can be used to as a criterion for suitability, a bit like asking for CEng/IEng

Originally Posted by Geoff Hannis
How does "promotion" work in the NHS, anyway? I'm assuming that vacancies arise, they get advertised far and wide, then candidates apply ... to be called for interview etc., etc. Of course, there have been cases (or so I have heard) where a "preferred" candidate (generally already in-house) is standing by, but the post still needs to be advertised according to the Rules and then a number of interviews carried out (fair enough, in my view). After all, I hope we have a meritocracy (at least of sorts).

There are two routes either interview for new post or re-banding after taking on extra responsibilities. (reorganisation is a separate issue) There are the National Job Profiles which probably come close to your national promotion boards. (more national job standards boards)

I actually noticed someone who could have been struck off the register shocked although they just cancelled their membership instead boggle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020