Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74317 05/07/19 11:59 AM
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Does anyone know if there is a ecri pm procedure for flowmeters? I have ohio medical units which have a ridiculous service check out so I'm wondering if ECRI have a basic one?

Super Hero
Super Hero

I have always considered these Pressure Compensated (and accurate) flowmeters to be "the best". In my experience, as long as they were not physically damaged they always remained "in spec" in terms of flow rate accuracy.

But yes, Section 8 of the Ohio manual does look a bit "detailed" - as well as envoking memories of the good old Timeter RT-200 - but I would say that it was a tad excessive for quick "PM checks" on site in the Wards.

You may be right in recalling that there was an ECRI "generic" flowmeter procedure (and anyway, that may have been a bit OTT as well); but what I would do is write up an appropriate procedure of my own for the periodic checking of all flowmeters in each Ward etc. - such as would be suitable during a "walk-through inspection" scenario.

That, coupled with encouraging the staff to - as always - report faults, should suffice. Any failures should then be removed to the workshop for further action (where the detailed procedures set out in the manual may well apply). smile

How accurately can a user set the flow rate, anyway (always read to the centre of the ball)?

Meanwhile, what test equipment do you have available in this regard? think

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Hi Geoff,

I've a tsi flow tester which is an excellent piece of kit, but I'm reluctant to use it to test the 200 flowmeters.

I am thinking of just completing a physical inspection, leak-check (block the outlet) and a flow test, i.e, listen for change/increase in sound from 0 flow to max flow.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Blocking the outlet sounds a bit severe (and is not really a "real world" test) - pinching off outlet tubing would be better.

The simplest way of checking these units (as with most other bits of kit) is by careful observation. Make sure the balls do not stick (and reject any that do).

Yes; keep the TSI for the workshop. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero

How often do you plan to PM your flowmeters?

I notice that the manual recommends just a physical inspection at three monthly intervals; then the full Service Checkout every six months; plus stripping and cleaning every two years.

As discussed, a functional check at every PM should suffice (with any failures being withdrawn for further investigation). smile

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
The plan is to annually check them.

Super Hero
Super Hero

I would go for a "rolling programme" of "walk-through inspections" (that is, a few at a time). That way, you can keep on top of things, swap out duds, and notice "trends" (which could be user related). Frequent interaction with user staff (especially out on the wards) is also a Good Thing in general!

Remember that many flowmeters are likely to be in use at any one time ... so:-

1) How can you be sure that you've got them all (asset tagging)?
2) Have you got spares so you can "swap out"?

Also, if you've got plenty available, you could check-out (PM) a dozen or so in the workshop, then go out and swap them over on the wards - then bring those back for attention, and repeat ... etc., etc. smile

I seem to recall that some hospitals used to have a rolling programme of gross replacement (using cheaper flowmeters from suppliers such as Oxylitre or *Therapy Equipment) whereby pipeline flowmeters ended up being replaced every five years or so - one ward one year, another one the next, etc.. They reckoned this was a more cost effective (that is, compared with a biomed's time) method of keeping on top of the flowmeter "problem".

* Other fine vendors may be available!

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
I've asset tagged every piece of equipment in the hospital and I'm actively engaging with our stores department and reception who alert me to all reps and new items brought onsite. Our hospital is like fort knox to get into so I'm pretty certain that every piece of kit has a tag on it.

Just like the big man in the red suit, I'll too will work at Christmas (on flow-meters though...)

Super Hero
Super Hero

Well, it may be a bit early to start thinking about Christmas, but I recall that it was always a good time to gain access to kit that was hard to get at during most other times ... plus there were usually mince pies and what-have-you available in Theates. smile

Novice
Novice
Just wondering which Suction controllers you use with Ohio flowmeters, as I find fluid trap on Ohio legacy 6731 prefix controllers make them prone to damage? (Only so much education possible on busy wards, we are trying education briefs) from Linak actuator equipped beds? I thought I would include Vac. controllers as I am sure checked by tech staff at same time.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Neoteny), 414 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat
10,179 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,062
Posts73,727
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020