Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74466 13/08/19 10:46 PM
Len Offline OP
OP Offline
Our Hospital is in the process of design for building a new hospital. We were asked our requirements etc. and came up with size, equipment, locality and they came back with the idea of "satellite workshops" close to the areas of use. Does anyone work in this type of design and is it a good idea rather than a central workshop doing everything?

Len #74467 13/08/19 11:53 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Hi Len, we are doing a major rebuild here at Coffs Harbour and have included a small workshop on the edge of the new theatre area and were also offered one in ICU which we decided we did not need.
I think satellite workshops are a good idea as it saves having to move things like anaesthetic machines over long distances and in our case, in and out of lifts.

Dave

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Len #74468 14/08/19 12:12 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

First off, Len, I would say it depends on the size of the hospital (and therefore, hopefully, the number of biomed techs involved). As a "Rule of Thumb" I would suggest that it is probably not worth considering for less than a 100-bed hospital.

In one of my "previous lives" I was involved with Hospital Design Teams (aka keeping architects restrained within the bounds of reality), and - based on my own experiences of supporting equipment in-house at a number of 350-plus and 500-bedded hospitals - I always used to include a sub-workshop within the "clean zone" of the main theatres. Upon visiting one such site a year or so after completion, I was even thanked by the biomeds for my foresight (...a very rare event)!

My insistence was based upon the success I had some years earlier in keeping one of my guys in theatre greens (other colours may be, and indeed are, available). This was Good News as it meant that, not only was biomed assistance readily to hand in case of any "emergencies" (flapping) that occurred up in theatres (thereby saving me the pain of getting changed into theatre garb a couple of times each day myself), but servicing of all the theatre kit was done quietly (usually during the evenings) without having to drag it through the hospital and down to the basement where our main workshop was hidden away.

So I would say "yes" (and agree with Dave) - theatres are the prime candidate for a sub-workshop - plus a permanently assigned biomed tech (who could be on a roster system if no willing volunteer* can be found).

By the way, in well-designed hospitals the clean side of CSSD (TSSU, Sterilization ... whatever) should be adjacent to the main theatres - so "our guy" can also take take of kit in there as well.

In a large hospital, ICU may be another candidate - but probably not always manned; but there is often a "spare side room" available in such locations, anyway (such as where the blood-gas analyzer used to sit - a place where I must have spent hundreds of happy hours over the years). I have also seen "small workshops" tucked away (hidden?) in large Maternity Units and (or) Neonatal Units; but these were really small store rooms (not much larger than cupboards) where parts and a couple of special items of test kit were kept.

Off-site Mental Health Units (of the "secure" type) may be yet another possibility - for reasons of "security" mainly - of both tools and test equipment, as well as biomed staf. Dialysis units - especially if detached from the main hospital - could also be considered for a sub-workshop. Anywhere off-site really, where a biomed might have to spend relatively long periods on a regular basis - especially if special clothing is involved. Plus, of course, at any off-site - or remote - Clinic(s) or Outstation(s) that you may be responsible for; a small workshop (store room, broom cupboard) under your control (lock and key) can save you having to cart so much kit (tools, test equipment, spares, manuals) about in your vehicle. It can also serve as a place of respite ("safe space" in current UK terminology) where you can "take a breather" (and maybe even a cup of tea).

Another one I have used with success (at a large hospital) was attached to the clinical laboratory complex. It was a good place to store the special parts needed there, and also provided an "office" where visiting servicing engineers could "report" and base themselves (kettle essential) rather than having to go off and find the main biomed workshop. Luckily that site was large enough (and I had enough good blokes) to post a tech there permanently; he was yet another lucky guy, working on interesting kit. And don't forget that "Lab" is generally the largest department in the hospital (kit-wise, at least).

Finally, if you are a service contractor - and I'm assuming that you're not, Len - rather than in-house staff, be sure to include a clause when negotiating your contract that you shall have (sole) access to a suitable room somewhere handy at each location you are to be responsible for. This might seem seem like a small point (especially at a time when you're keen to get things agreed regardless), but you'll be glad later that you did (based on my own experiences, not all of which were good). But there again, as a contractor, you would also be well aware that duplicate test kit and what-have-you costs money! However, in [a country in West Africa] we justified such expenses by weighing them against the (very real) possibility of having our shiny kit "lifted" when on the road. frown

Lastly, if you are involved in a New Hospital Project that you shall also have to maintain after it is commissioned - make sure you get hold of a master key (one that fits every door in the building(s)). Then you can "claim" any spare room that takes your fancy once the hospital opens! smile

* It was a job that I used to relish, myself. If nothing else it gets you away from the "hospital politics" can can often develop in (main) biomed workshops.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Savant
Savant
Useful information Geoff.

Angus #74471 14/08/19 5:08 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Have you come across (or tried) the satellite workshop idea in your travels, Angus? smile

Len #74485 16/08/19 8:15 AM
Savant
Savant
In Saudi, we had a biomed permanently based in the OR working from a satellite workshop. It proved to be well worth it as he was able to oversee the performance of the kit and rectify any problems before they became a significant issue. Also, from a PR view, it proved to be a winner as the theatre staff were happy that we dedicated resources to then and could respond to any problems immediately. I would always advocate for the provision of such satellite workshops within a new or existing facility.

Angus #74487 16/08/19 10:21 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes; that's a good point about PR. smile

I notice you have changed location, Angus. Good luck with that.

Len #74490 16/08/19 4:27 PM
Hero
Hero
I think a satellite workshop in Theatres/ITU is a good idea, but not sure having someone permanently based there is a good idea, unless it is a massive theatre complex.

Be Proactive and reactive.
Super Hero
Super Hero

... or unless the guy is free to wander around the site in theatre greens (blues, or whatever) - albeit usually covered by a white coat - as I have sometimes seen. crazy

Len #74500 19/08/19 10:43 AM
Hero
Hero
Yes Geoff, I have often seen theatre greens being worn outside theatres. Not sure what the point is of changing into them, if they are going to be worn anywhere??

Be Proactive and reactive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat, Mitul Patel
10,178 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,061
Posts73,725
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020