Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74541 12/09/19 2:54 PM
webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
We have some Liko scales that attach to our Liko hoists, that we need to send to the US for repair. Has anyone here done this before and what forms did you have to fill in? Did you have to pay duty?

Super Hero
Super Hero

Can't (won't) Hillrom take care of that for you? think

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
won't, we have had that argument and they won't budge, even though we bought it off them.

webbie #74545 12/09/19 11:35 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
All you should need to do is fill in a customs carnet form. This is a document that shows that the device was purchased in your home country and that all duties were paid. It means that you can then temporarily "export" the device to another country and re-import it later without any further duties coming due in either country.

Simple really, contact HM Customs or any shipping agent for details.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
webbie #74546 13/09/19 10:25 AM
webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the advice DaveC. I think we have to apply for OPR authorisation. Its a real pain for a one off repair.

webbie #74551 15/09/19 10:53 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Once again, it saddens me that the so-called "National" Health Service (that is, a very large organisation in the Public Sector) is seemingly not able to handle this sort of thing in a centralised way. For instance, how much would it cost (in NHS terms) for the NHS to have an agent Stateside to take care of kit being sent over for repair? After all, this must be a regular occurrence!

By the way, this is one of the (few) benefits of being in the European Union - as long as kit can be "sent away" within the EU, of course (the Liko factory is in Sweden). Otherwise, see OPR.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what the problem is with the item to be repaired. Can't it be fixed in the UK? Or, maybe you would be better off simply "buying a new one" - preferably from a different supplier! smile

Is it this one?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hi Webbie

I'm from the Marketing Team at Hillrom, firstly I apologise that you have encountered difficulties - we fully support this process of repairs to the USA. I'd be happy to either put you in contact with the relevant team or if you wish to send me the details, kelly.woodcock@hillrom.com I can pass on.

webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Geoff,

That is the one. I have though about repairing it myself as this might be the easier option but if I have to buy the part I assume I would have to pay duty on it. It has occurred to me now that in over 20 year of working for the NHS I have never sent anything outside the EU. I'm sure stuff has been repaired outside the EU before, be we have always sent it to the UK suppliers first. I suppose with brexit looming we may have to get something set up. It is probably not that hard, but we have never needed anything like this before.

webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Kelly,

I have sent you an email explaining the situation.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (mosfet1996, Stargolf, KostasIatri), 408 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat
10,179 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,062
Posts73,727
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020