Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project #74685 08/11/19 2:37 PM
Gaynor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Hi everyone.

Can you help me please? Any comments will be gratefully received.

My company, Convert Technologies has recently been awarded a Government Innovate UK grant, and Phase 1 is to gain real insight into the operational and technical aspects of how best to manage key ‘assets’ (Medical Equipment) in and around hospitals.

This will inform the design & development of an innovative technology platform and provide you with the opportunity to help shape the final solution. If you could provide some input on the seven questions below, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

1. What ‘asset’ tracking solution (if any) do you have in place to track important medical equipment?

2. How does this solution currently operate?

3. What does the solution NOT do? i.e. what are the pains and/or gaps with it?

4. Approximately, how many assets are currently tracked and how many do you have in total?

5. As a Trust, how do you monitor utilisation of your assets? If so, generally speaking, what % is it currently at?

6. How do you make sure that assets are in the right place, or can be found easily when they are required?

7. How do you know when a particular asset needs maintenance and how do you report on this when maintenance is completed?

Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74690 12/11/19 3:48 AM
Neil Porter Offline
Hero
Hero
Hello, is this project asset tracking only or are you creating a CMMS with asset tracking?

are you targeting EBME only or are you considering the facilities maintenance as well?

Stanley Healthcare, GE asset plus have these systems in place already, a few hospitals I know have built there own systems 'in-house'

Will your 'tags' be active, passive or a mixture of both.

Asset tracking does help with finding equipment due for PPM, but with the smaller equipment requiring passive tagging due to the size of the tags a lot of infrastructure is required in collaboration with the IT department.

I would recommend that you make a few appointments with your local hospitals and talk with the BME managers to understand the PPM procedures.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74692 12/11/19 3:13 PM
Gaynor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your comments/feedback.

We are getting insights from a range of stakeholders to understand the challenges and difficulties in managing high value assets in hospitals. Our system will operate using active tags, although I don’t really want to get into the technology at this stage, as it could have the ‘potential’ to skew the conversation towards any proposed solution, which is not the point of this particular exercise.

All I am after at this stage, is a direct Q&A style response to the survey questions in my previous post if you could please? It just helps us to compare apples with apples, when evaluating stakeholder responses and also provides input to a few hypotheses.

Very much appreciated Neil, if you can spare the time?

Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74693 12/11/19 4:28 PM
Geoff Hannis Online Content
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

To be frank (and why not?) it reads to me that you are fishing for free advice* to support a commercial proposition.

Until now I have held off replying to your post, but now that my old pal Neil has waded in, I may as well offer my free advice as well:-

Hire an Old School Biomed to join your team ... you know, someone with experience; a practical guy who understands the issues involved and manages to get things done without all the "baboon speak". smile

* Something that has not been entirely unknown on this forum over the years.

Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74697 Yesterday at 03:06 AM
Neil Porter Offline
Hero
Hero
I am with Geoff on this one, it is time to open your wallet.

What I don't understand is 'how you managed to get government money to support this project when there are commercial products already established in this segment'

I would be open to a 6 to 12 month contract, but as mentioned I would want to expand to facilities as well due to the accreditation procedures that are in place and calibration procedures are not only confined to the medical equipment.

Neil

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74698 9 hours ago
Gaynor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Gents,

Appreciate your frankness and I’m sorry you feel I am trying in some way to illicit ‘free advice’. On the contrary, we are not starting from a clean sheet here. Rather, we are developing innovative solutions that will:

• Provide real-time equipment location in 3D space (indoors & outdoors)
• Reduce issues of under-utilisation, and over provision.
• Increase equipment availability & suitability
• Avoid nursing staff losing valuable time looking for it
• Improve the health a wellbeing of patients & staff
• Targeted to overall save the NHS some cash

There are indeed a fair few existing solutions already out there, and we are in discussions with some of those channel partners along with several hospital Trusts, who have expressed a strong interest in our particular platform, so are working collaboratively with us. As such, we have ongoing dialogue with a number of Hardware Manufacturers/System Integrators, EBME & Estates Managers, Procurement, Doctors, Physicians and other Clinicians. We wanted to make sure we have as much info as possible and a full 360 degree view from all stakeholders, hence the post on the forum.

Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74700 5 hours ago
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

RFID is already a crowded market ... and I don't see anything new in your list of "innovative solutions" (unless, of course, you're offering all that stuff for free).

I also cannot see how the questions you pose at your opening post will help much. I should add that replying to each point will (would) take a fair amount of time and effort! An essay (dissertation?), in fact (and there is already a load of stuff about all this already available on line).

How are you expecting responses - here in plain view, via a Private Message ... or what? And how many responses have you received so far?

I have taken a quick glance at your website, by the way. It looks very nice. smile

Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Gaynor] #74702 3 hours ago
Dustcap Online Content
Technologist
Online Content
Technologist
Hi Gaynor
Have you heard of the system called Cohealo, sounds very similar to what you are asking about.
Although the Cohealo system looks like an absolute minefield for blaming and responsibility of damaged equipment. Its great in principal but in practice it could be full of administration and a nightmare for EBME techs.
https://cohealo.com/about/
Tis system may work well in America as they do not utilize a state paid NHS.

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
Re: Asset Tracking ‘Insight’ for R&D Project [Re: Dustcap] #74703 3 hours ago
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

It's great that the link about "Sharing Economy" pulls up a 404 page! whistle

The Cohealo proposition seems to centre on sharing "under utilized" kit across hospital locations. Here in the UK, our National Health Service should be able to do that anyway. But straight off the bat, I'm sure we can all spot a few snags with that idea. What if the owning hospital suddenly finds it needs its kit in a hurry, after all - being one such problem; with who actually owns the kit being another. How is the kit transported (and by whom)? Who is responsible? Who does the maintenance (and repairs) - especially if (when) it gets "broken" by persons unknown? And what about when the kit goes "missing"? I'm sure we could quickly come up with a whole list of problems with this "money saving" idea.

Meanwhile, back in the Real World ... how about having a load of "savvy" tech support staff at each hospital?

You know, guys that we used to call "biomed techs", to manage all this "high tech" kit? Now, there's an idea. smile

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, KM, RoJo 

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Angus, Geoff Hannis, John Sandham, Dustcap, Gaynor, Huw), 998 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
alaobidan, Olaf KAYHAN, Steve E (SJA), Sufrani, Gaynor
9501 Registered Users
Events
Philips - National Conference
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,451
Posts70,801
Members9,501
Most Online1,946