Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services Seminar Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Medicine+Engineering, synergy or no connection?
#75293 15/04/20 4:05 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

First of all i´m gonna say that i´m not a native english speaker. In fact in the last 5-6 years i have not used my english at all so now it is much worse than it used to be when i was a kid/teenager and im sure that this text is going to have plenty of mistakes and I´m really sorry about that.

So, I am a spanish doctor, 25 and this year i´m starting my medical residency in ophtalmology. A good amount of proffesionals usually do a PhD during their residency, for getting a better CV basically. The idea doesnt scare me at all but I have a couple of friends doing the PhD and they really doubt if it worths it (speaking in therms of getting a better job).

And...realizing that tecnologies are the future (if not the present...) of medicine i´m thinking about starting an engineering degree.

The main question is simple: would a hypothetical profile doctor-engineer have any kind of good chances in the job market of medical engineering companies? Or they are so different that it doesnt worth it?

I would like to make an appreciation, I do love my doctor job and the point its not that i want to leave it now, but life is long and future is unclear, and as I said it is a reality that tecnologies are going to be more and more important at med fields.

Besides that i wanna say that I do like maths and physics and when I was 18 being an engineer was one of my options. That´s why I think that it wouldn´t be really hard for me to change the kind of topics i´m used to study as a med. Although I obviously know that it is a really hard degree and Im not in thinking about getting it in a few years, it would be a long journey

Thank you very much for your attention engineers!

P.D: I would really appreciate your sincerity. If it is totally nonsense i wanna know it hahaha
P.D.2: Apologies again for my english. I hope it didnt burn your eyes hahahah

Re: Medicine+Engineering, synergy or no connection?
Alfonsofdez #75295 15/04/20 5:37 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
With an MD, plus a degree in electronics (especially with a biomedical content) - then the world shall be your oyster!

So I would say, go for it Alfonso.

Buena suerte.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Re: Medicine+Engineering, synergy or no connection?
Alfonsofdez #75296 16/04/20 8:25 AM
Master
Master
Alfonso, buenos dias
Welcome to THE forum...

On a lighter note had you been born earlier with the same inclinations in mind, you could have designed AND patented the Excimer laser, so as Geoff has quoted the world is your "ostra"

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (JerryCristian), 496 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Illy, Madhavesh, UHPNTpetersa, Abdul-Aziz, Anam
9677 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,580
Posts71,696
Members9,677
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020