Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Infrared thermometers
#75319 19/04/20 8:27 AM
OP Offline
Hi Guys,

has anyone got any tips to test non contact IR thermometers.

Hospitals have purchased various brands and none seem to come with any test or QA document.

I now need to develop my own procedure to acceptance test them.

especially Visiofocus from tecnimed Italy

https://www.gimaitaly.com/prodotti.asp?sku=25573&dept_selected=142&dept_id=1422

Thanks

Re: Infrared thermometers
andysang #75321 19/04/20 12:33 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
I assume you are referring to simple testing during initial commissioning, and then later on during PM etc.

But let me guess ... the medics are complaining that they are "inaccurate", and you need a quick way to prove otherwise. Hint:- nine times out of ten, the problem will be "operator error".

With items like these I believe it is best to check them out in batches (that is, a good number of each type in one session). That way you can look for (and confirm) consistency across the batch. These thermometers must have some sort of "self-test" or "Cal" - so that would be the first thing to check. Any that fail, or come outside the "expected norm", should be set aside.

There's no way that you're going to be able to test them for absolute accuracy - unless you have a "black body" (see Annex A1 at the link below). But, following the "test by comparison" approach I mention, you may be able to find an ad-hoc heat source somewhere; a handy brick wall, for example. I was also wondering about the side of a water bath ... you may have to experiment a bit with all this!

It's probably not a good idea to try and test them individually, either - such as when coming across one out on the wards, for example. As I say, you shall need a "good one" (at least) to compare it with.

If you have a lot of these, it may be worth keeping a "known good one" of each type back (hidden) in your workshop; and then bring (or have sent) any reported faulty ones back there for checking (comparing) under some semblance of "controlled conditions".

Meanwhile, what are you planning to do with those that fail? Apart from battery condition, battery connections, sticking buttons, cracked cases and so forth - what else can you do with them (apart from binning them, that is)?

Note that the link you have given states:- "Accuracy level: According to ASTM E 1965-98:2009". An earlier version of E 1965 is available (.pdf) here. There is a lot of technical background there; see also Section 6 : Test Methods. There is a newer version of E 1965 available (2009) but you would probably need to pay for that.

For reference, here is another data sheet.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
andysang #75329 20/04/20 12:09 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Geoff, a great insight to IRT's and this has boost my confidence.

Much appreciated mate !!

andysang #75341 21/04/20 12:07 PM
Master
Master
We've recently had to "calibrate" a box load of said IR thermometers, because no one could be arsed to read the instructions (in Italian).
However upon reading the instructions we found that the device asks the user to "recalibrate" every 30 mins by doing nothing more than pointing the device at some inanimate object in the environment where the measurements are being taken, all in all much better than some of the China Export junk in giro

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (JerryCristian), 496 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Illy, Madhavesh, UHPNTpetersa, Abdul-Aziz, Anam
9677 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,580
Posts71,696
Members9,677
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020