Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75409 26/05/20 10:35 AM
KevB Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning,

I've a question regarding UVC cleaning robots. I did contact a site administrator about posting this question so hope I've not crossed any boundaries. The company I work for don't currently supply a device but have been approached to possibly do so hence me trying to get some background information

I'm interested in understanding the uptake in UVC cleaning robots in hospitals. Some quick Googling indicates they are in use in various trusts, I'm trying to get a sense of if use is widespread or relatively isolated. Are these purchased by infection control department staff or the likes of theatre managers etc?

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

KevB #75412 29/05/20 10:06 AM
Hero
Hero
Hi Kev,
These UV robots are not widespread across the NHS or private sector hospitals, but I personally think they should be. Healthcare professionals usually want to see evidence not only that UV kills viruses and bacteria, but that it has an impact on overall patient safety.

If you can provide this type of evidence, and the devices are compliant with the expected manufacturing standards for healthcare equipment, then I think there is a market, and there has never been a better time than now.
:-)

Be Proactive and reactive.
KevB #75420 02/06/20 10:36 AM
Alf Offline
Technologist
Technologist
Jury is out for me John, although the technology is gaining popularity.

UV-C can penetrate the skin and can cause cell mutations that may lead to skin cancer, so understandably they are limited for use in unoccupied areas due to this concern.

It wouldn't take much of a design change to change that though.

And what about the light, is this OK? I only ask as I understand that certain materials can become damaged if they are not resistant to UV-C radiation, molecular chains can begin to break down, causing both physical and chemical changes. In duct UV-C devices have damaged electrical insulation causing fires.

Studies have investigated the effect of exposing endoscope material to a UV-C light (200 to 280 nm). Overall, results indicated that UV-C light is capable of degrading material properties. This degradative (is that a word?) effect cracked endoscope material and encouraged increased bacterial attachment after UV-C exposure

UV degradation adversely effects many natural and synthetic polymers including some rubbers, neoprene and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). With too much exposure, these materials can:-

Fade color
Lose strength
Become less flexible and brittle
Crack
Disintegrate

Darren Magee
Assistant Director Medical Physics & Clinical Engineering
Epsom & St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
KevB #75421 02/06/20 11:48 AM
Hero
Hero
Hi Darren,
All good points, but materials degrade / fade over time without UV present (from cleaning and other activities), so I suppose it depends on the levels of damage / accelerated degradation to the surrounding surfaces, and the proof that the health benefits outweigh any other risks to the areas being irradiated.

Science Daily reported in early April 2020 a "99.9% sterilization of coronavirus (COVID-19) in 30 seconds" with UV LED products. This technology is currently is being adopted for automotive use, in UV LED lamps that sterilize the interior of unoccupied vehicles.

I would think that the automotive industry would not be using this tech if it caused damage to the vehicle.

:>)

Be Proactive and reactive.
KevB #75423 02/06/20 12:18 PM
Alf Offline
Technologist
Technologist
Thats true John

All materials degrade but there are cleaning and disinfection media in use presently that are completely material safe, kill pathogens more quickly and completely and can be used in patient occupied areas.

Take hypochlorous acid, completely 100% natural, neutral PH (produced by our bodies as a natural antiseptic) Kills 99.99% of pathogens on contact, will not taint metal, plastics, nitriles, rubber etc - In fact we use it to decontaminate flexible endoscopes in AERs (Super Electrolysed Water). Now of course its used extensively in the US & EU to fog clinical areas (whilst occupied) and is available as a medical device maintenance spray.

In Wuhan it is the spray the Chinese government use in public transport, taxis and commuter spray booths - it is a very effective skin and wound spray used in medicine (Tissue Viability)

I know theres no silver bullet in decontamination, no single solution, a good cleaning/hygiene regime is the most effective initial strategy.

All I am saying that before we adopt new technologies, are we sure we are using the best protocols available before doing so?

Last edited by Alf; 02/06/20 12:40 PM.

Darren Magee
1 member likes this: chandrasenan5115
KevB Offline OP
OP Offline
John, Darren,

Thanks for the input. Good to hear from you both and I hope you are both well.

I've looked through the literature relating to the product our guys are looking at. As you might expect its all very pro the technology and there is a lot of additional info out there suggesting it is gathering momentum within the NHS

Darren, in terms of skin protection, the device we are considering along with other high end devices, incorporates a safety system that turns off the UV light if any movement is detected in a room where it is in use.

As you say there isn't a silver bullet in the bug killing world but I think from background reading I've been doing and some brief conversations with folks who use this type of device, its another tool in the tool box. Definitely a follow up to manual cleaning and preferred by many to hydrogen peroxide fogging or vapour which seems to be used by many hospitals in theatres etc. In general it seems the UVC robots are quicker, safer and can be used in areas where air con and ventilation systems might need to be switched off if using HPV.

I've noted one provider of a UVC robot in the UK is making claims around Covid-19, supported by a clinical paper I think from Holland. Its the only lit I've seen with specific reference. Not something the company our folks are talking too have mentioned.

For me based on some lit searches and I think uptake to date, there is potential. Lets see what the bosses come up with.

Darren...I completely forgot you were down this neck of the woods. When all this blows over we'll have to meet up, if I have to go to St H before this blows over I'll give you a call.

Alf Offline
Technologist
Technologist
Hi Kevin

I agree with your comments on Hydrogen Peroxide, apart from the toxicity, the concerns over the silver often used to stabilise it remains. Thats why I advocate the use of the weak hypochlorous which is so safe it has no Risk or Hazard phrases noted on the Safety Data Sheet but it remains 100 times more effective than bleach.

Also, I can only recommend in terms of guidance, in context of COVID-19 response: infection prevention and control guidance, The WHO, Public Health England and the Center for Disease Control in the US all state the use of chlorine based disinfection with an available chlorine content of 1000 ppm.

I have no doubt the new UV-C technology works effectively and it has its place in the field of decontamination, its development and take up has in my mind been accelerated by the present crisis, like so many other novel technologies borne of a need, I think this can only be a good thing.

Looking forward to meeting up

Darren Magee

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020