Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services Seminar Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moving to UK with USA BMET certification
#75574 30/07/20 12:54 AM
OP Offline
I live in the USA as of now. In a year, I will be graduating with an associate degree in applied science and a biomedical equipment technology advanced certificate.

I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend who lives in Scotland. We'd like to close the gap and get married soon after I graduate, with me moving to be with him in Scotland.

I'm concerned about my job prospects when I get there, especially because I won't have any job experience under my belt. I wonder if/how my degree would be recognized. It seems like most people in the field in the UK have a BSc in some form of engineering or physics, so I would be one of the least educated people there if I did get a job. Though, I think I may have more hands on/practical training from my degree.

I've heard there are a lot of open jobs in England, but I'm wondering if finding one in Scotland will be tough.

Any insight would be great.

1 member likes this: John Sandham
Re: Moving to UK with USA BMET certification
capsquirrel #75577 30/07/20 8:54 AM
Master
Online Content
Master
I think your biggest problem will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.....(and whiskey induced loss of vision)

As to your worries about qualifications and pieces of paper, I'll let Geoff reply, as he's far more elequent !!!!!

Malcolm #75578 30/07/20 11:33 AM
Huw Online Content
Hero
Online Content
Hero
Originally Posted by Malcolm
As to your worries about qualifications and pieces of paper, I'll let Geoff reply, as he's far more elequent !!!!!
Should he (or anyone else) respond, they will stay on topic. It's a serious question that deserves a serious answer. Flippant responses will not be tolerated.

capsquirrel #75579 31/07/20 9:33 AM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Keep your eye on the NHS Scotland jobs website and filter your jobsearch to Healthcare Science jobs, you should look out for Clinical technologists jobs. For someone with your qualification but without experience you would be looking at maybe level Band 5 jobs, although depending on which area of Scotland you are wanting to locate to, do not be deterred in applying for Band 6 jobs there may not many applicants and you could possibly taken on as a Band 5 technician with a view to be trained up and moving to the Band 6 level. Good luck in your search.

2 members like this: John Sandham, Huw
capsquirrel #75580 31/07/20 1:11 PM
Hero
Hero
Hello capsquirrel,
Your qualifications will allow you to get work. I don't see that being a barrier to employing you.
The larger NHS hospitals have clinical engineering / EBME departments, but there are also many private companies operating in the the UK, and this would be another avenue to look at.

Be Proactive and reactive.
capsquirrel #75583 03/08/20 2:14 PM
Alf Offline
Novice
Novice
capsquirrel

I am sure your qualifications are sufficient to get you in front of many who will be glad to employ you. Do not worry if you lack experience, for sure, we all did once.

Academic and more vocational education and training are both recognised and equally valuable. You will be absolutely fine.

Best of luck on your move to Scotland, a beautiful place for a wedding and to make a home, the rest will fall into place.

Darren Magee
Head of Medical Physics & Clinical Engineering
AP(D)
Epsom & St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
capsquirrel #75597 04/08/20 12:43 PM
Ted Offline
Hi Capsquirrel

If you're moving to Scotland, I may be able to help point you in the right direction. If you're moving to Glasgow area I definitely can.

Ted Mullen
Head of Service, Medical Equipment Management
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (michal1, Malcolm, Geoff Hannis, Huw, JohnBad), 581 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Madhavesh, UHPNTpetersa, Abdul-Aziz, Anam, Phil-h
9676 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,579
Posts71,695
Members9,676
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020