Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Damola Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Calling on Medical equipment experts and managers to assist with my Ph.D. research.

I am a Ph.D. Candidate working on improving the supply and availability of medical equipment through remanufacturing while, on the other hand, improving the sustainability of medical devices.

Remanufacturing refers to the process of returning a used item to a condition similar to that of new in terms of its performance and warranty. It is similar to conventional manufacturing except that it uses lesser raw materials, requires lesser energy, and generates lesser wastes.

I need the opinion and input of medical device experts on completing a questionnaire to rank their expectations and requirements when it comes to using a medical device. The term 'use' covers every aspect of your day to day interactions with medical devices.

I have a questionnaire which can't be shared on this post but can be sent privately to you if you like or make a comment on this post.

Thanks and I look forward.

Damola

“Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” - Morticia Addams
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Originally Posted by Damola
I have a questionnaire which can't be shared on this post but can be sent privately to you if you like or make a comment on this post.
Hi Damola,
May I ask, what is the reason for not sharing the questionnaire?

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Is any medical equipment remanufactured? Refurbished, maybe.

And even then it is only financially viable for "high-end" equipment such as imaging, diagnostic ultrasound etc.

Other considerations include initial design (upgrade path via add-ons, "future proofing") and software (equipment utility may be given a new lease on life via software upgrades).

Outside of the Charity Sector (who tend to be grateful with whatever comes their way) I believe there is resistance to anything but the newest, latest technology - especially when large amounts of money are involved.

And what about "the Rules" ... MHRA, FDA, whomever? In the Private Sector, we sometimes see "preloved" equipment ... but I would say that most of the "used" equipment sold at auction etc. ends up overseas (with a small proportion bought by veterinary surgeons in the UK). So, where is the market (incentive) for remanufacturing in the UK?

I am aware, however, that there is a market (especially in the USA, or at least outside the UK/EU) for third-party manufacture of equipment spare parts.

As an aside, I continue to believe that (in our "industry", as well as many others), regular maintenance is the key to the "sustainability" (and useful long life) of equipment.

Good luck with your studies.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Damola Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hello, I couldn’t attach the .docx file to the thread. I assume sharing such file may be against the T&C. I am wrong, aren’t I?

“Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” - Morticia Addams
Damola Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
You've said everything that needs to be said.

While it is agreed that there is an understandable reluctance towards using anything but new medical devices, we should try to ensure some quality in what we donate to other low-resourced regions. Most importantly, if we have to reduce medical equipment wastes (and avoid using unnecessary resources into any end of life treatment), it is necessary to understand what factors are important to the users (or at least the medical equipment experts).

This is what my research is about. I would like to send you the questionnaire to get your expert opinion but I still can't figure out how to attach a .docx file to messages on this forum.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
we should try to ensure some quality in what we donate to other low-resourced regions
Agree 100% ... and little goes to waste "out there", either.

About your questionnaire ... is it too large to simply post here in plain text?

I can't read modern stuff like .docx myself.

Damola Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
One of the advantages of remanufacturing is that it returns these used and decommissioned equipment to a condition that is similar to new. Devices would functional perfectly to good standards and enjoy a similar warranty albeit at a lower price. Such a good prospect, isn't it?

Can I send the questionnaire privately to you?

Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Hello, I couldn’t attach the .docx file to the thread. I assume sharing such file may be against the T&C. I am wrong, aren’t I?
No, it seems you weren't.
I blocked .docx files whilst working on something and forgot to allow it again.
Should be okay now.

1 member likes this: Damola
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Yes; I'm aware of the concept - but where is the financial case? What is the business model? In short, who pays?

After all we're talking here about well-equipped workshops, skilled engineers, ISO standards and what-have-you.

It would be great if Dyson (for example) undertook to remanufacture (refurbish, or even overhaul) equipment binned by the NHS, ready to be shipped to the needy (or even sold at auction), but I doubt that even he would be willing to do it for nowt. There has to be a financial quid pro quo.

I doubt I have anything more to add myself.

Damola Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
That's the height we aim to reach and hopefully kickstart some interesting collaborations between the NHS and medical equipment manufacturers.

The financial quid pro quo of remanufacturing has been demonstrated in other industries such as the Automotive industry and electronic products. However, the medical equipment industry is highly sensitive and much attention must be given to the requirements of key stakeholders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff Hannis), 466 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020