Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services Seminar Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
For the past month I have return to work within the NHS following my retirement some 18 months ago. I’m very interested to hear of workload increase in many departments due to Covid. The Desperate situation in the London area would I speculate lead to a serious increase in the demands on the biomedical engineering community. .Your thoughts please.

kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
What I have found in our hospital is that there has been changes thoughout the hospital, certain clinics and wards have closed. Other wards have been comandeered for Covid patients entirely. Intensive Care Units have split into Green and Red (Covid). For our EBME department Ive found we have had to help with the transition of medical devices (Patient monitors, vents ect) moving from ward to ward and back again, continuously changing as the pandemic changes. New equipment has appeared from DoH eg ventilators ect that have had to be acceptance checked and registered on our database along with organising user training for staff of new these new devices. Also we have had to get involved with stripping anaesthetic machines that have have been in contact with Covid patients and having certain parts sterilised and returned for reassembly. PPMs that would have been done annually are maybe being delayed as access to some wards with Covid is maybe not advised if at all. Dealing with some suppliers has not been easy and access to some devices like thermometers has been difficult. Im sure this will go on for a while but it is all about continously adapting as the situation changes.

2 members like this: Geoff Hannis, Huw
Adept
Adept
Hi Dave, We have seen a big demand for our services including planning a new Covid ICU/HDU unit. There has been an increased demand on loan library stock with some patients requiring 8 syringe pumps. There has been a lot of NHS loan stock coming in with many different makes and models not previously used within the trust. I have spent a lot of time educating the users and setting up equipment. A knock on has been the decrease in ppm's performed but as we are in new waters that will have to be rectified later. The application of these devices and the impact of covid on the lungs has brought challenges, several times we have seen lungs going high compliance and also an increased use of volume guarantee modes. Biomeds have also been in full ppe to assist where we can.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (brompton, Ruben E., Geoff Hannis, Huw), 203 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Danpilot, Maria LN, Maher, rudied, Dave Aldrete
9,764 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,672
Posts72,077
Members9,764
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020