Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76071 13/02/21 6:35 AM
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
During this pandemic and severe backlogs of routine maintenance within ebme departments, The necessity to engage more help from external contractors to assist in clearing the backlogs is more apparent.

What are the responsibilities of the EBME department towards the contractor employed to help them out?

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Super Hero
Super Hero
... to make sure that someone in authority is around to sign the timesheet at the end of each working week?

[pedant]The contractor is not employed by the EBME department ... "hired", maybe.[/pedant]

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
The person of authority who hired the contractor would also need to establish their credentials to go through a gloried CV and ensure they have the necessary skills, experience to fulfil the work which will be be required to do.....

or do you just let the contractor loose in your trust

Last edited by Umi; 14/02/21 5:50 AM.

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Super Hero
Super Hero
Are we talking about individual contractors (aka "agency technicians")?

Competency (or otherwise) is generally apparent on the first working day. The Trust (if it has any sense) should reserve the right to have the contractor removed if necessary.

However it should not be too difficult for someone to pick up a 'phone (or tap out an email) to "check out" an individual contractor (assuming he has done work for the NHS in the recent past) before taking him on.

The contractor should be supervised (at least nominally) by an appointed member of the permanent staff (eg, Senior Technician, EBME Manager etc.). It may be prudent to have the fact that a contractor is being used for specific tasks entered on the Trust Risk Register.

On the other hand - if my own experiences are anything to go by - sometimes a contractor may be "badly briefed" (misled about the nature of the work); neither is it unknown for the contractor to be expected (required) to work in conditions that permanent staff would not even consider (I'm thinking "Health and Safety" here).

I have many stories, but I suspect you get the picture!

Don't forget that the "company" will be represented by a (silver tongued) sales type; the actual person sent along to carry out the work will be someone else entirely. Unless, of course, we are talking about a "self employed" - or freelance - person (but, sadly, I have never heard of any NHS folk hiring such a person for EBME work directly).

In short, where contractors are involved, there is always a contract (believe it or not); it is at that stage (the signing of the contract) when all this stuff needs to be dealt with.

The hiring manager should vet the hired engineer for their credentials they provide on their CV. It shouldn’t be up to the local engineers to train the contractor.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted by Sazza
It shouldn’t be up to the local engineers to train the contractor.
Do you know of any instance when that was indeed the case?

I assume you're not thinking of the (sometimes mandatory) "induction training" that may take place in order to familiarize the contractor with the site (to get him up to speed ASAP).

I’ve come across certain sites with this approach, as the contractor is not trained on the device or has either lied on their glorified CV. If an incident was to occur which was due to an engineer making an error and they were required to attend coroners court, how would this be approached?

Also some OEM training certificates have expiry dates on them, who is responsible for recertification, would it be the engineer or the trust they are working for?

For mandatory training the responsibility should lie with the line manager and/or HR.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Now I'm wondering why a site would follow such an approach?

Would they simply be trying to save a few quid ... or would they be covering for a "mate"?

"Glorified CV"? Yes; I've seen a few of those. But (as already mentioned), any lack of necessary skills usually come to light quickly enough. I would never put too much reliance on anyone's CV.

Re: the Coroner's Court - how about "I followed the procedure(s) detailed in the Service Manual"?

But "incident" ... "error"? Such as what, for example? Have you come across any actual cases?

Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
So in the good old days you could use the service manual, do fault finding to component level.

But these days " noway hosay"

Currently there is a shortage of good ebme engineers and you need to be extra vigilant when taking someone on....and exercise some due diligence...

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Super Hero
Super Hero
There has always been a shortage of good ebme engineers ... José.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (sylar, Huw, Angus), 94 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Haitham, Scouse Simon, Eladio, student7, Eng.KISSOPE
9,783 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,691
Posts72,175
Members9,783
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020