Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76115 05/03/21 1:26 PM
OP Offline
With the demise of the likes of Harland and Simon is there an RFID system out there that you guys use and find reliable?
I hear B. Braun have released 'something' but I believe it is bluetooth based and likely tied to Infusomats and Perfusors etc.

lost equipment is a nuisance (and costly) and it would be great to get something in that does the job but there seems to be a bit of a porridge mix out there to choose from.
Passive,Active,wifi based, bespoke etc.

Adept
Adept
One of my favorite topics! Harland Simon turned into Discovery which still provide RFID. There is also Lyngoesystems who are very advanced and provide some very bespoke solutions. Contact aja@lyngoesystems.com
Both companies normally attend the EBME conference.

If you have a "modern" wifi network within support then do look at active systems. But these active systems normally require triangulation so might be worth looking at any heat maps that your IT department can supply you. Other active systems require you to build a new network by placing Readers around the building-big expense if you already have a good wifi network but needs a bit of updates or investments.
Passive is cheap and the hand held readers are becoming better every year, also falls in line with the GS1 suggested way of working in the future.

My advice is you get several reps in and look at what suits the devices and processes rather than what looks the best. Every RFID supplier will tell you their system works, and it will on paper, but in the real world it comes down to users as ever.
Send me a PM if you ever want any more info.

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
1 member likes this: Huw
Huw Online Content
Hero
Online Content
Hero

OP Offline
thanks for the reply guys, we have spent a lot of money getting our wifi setup for coverage, I know that much.
We have VSM's, Mortara ECG's etc that wander about firing data via wifi to our medical system and the ICT team have spent a lot of man hours and cash getting it right.
There are access points all over the place and I assume that triangulation will have been factored into placement as they were not done 'that' long ago.
WiFi based RFID has been a buzzword on most peoples lips for the last decade so its should be good enough to use.
I used to use a small scale Harland and Simon system many years ago for tracking babies but the tech will have come on in leaps and bounds in this last decade I am sure as the first RFID setup we used was tail end of the 90s

It was a decent little system just fell foul of ropey servers more than anything back then (again virtualisation etc will have changed the game a bit I am sure).

I have been out of said game now for a few years but EBME still mention RFID now and then and I was interested to see what was out there and how it could integrate into the likes of F2 etc.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Huw, Geoff Hannis), 84 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Umaru Ayoub, Bumloka, Koots201, kevhewitt, Maxi
9,878 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,788
Posts72,565
Members9,877
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020