Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76550 17/11/21 9:32 AM
Neoteny Offline OP
Master
OP Offline
Master
Good morning.

We are currently going through a PC update to windows ten - new PCs mainly.

We have had issues for years with IT allowances, especially with USB connectivity and software for medical equipment etc.

Our IT department is stating due to the NHS Digital guidelines, they are not very understanding in our requirements, one of the updated PCs is unable to connect to any of the common software (BD and BRAUN)

How have other trusts dealt with this? Could you share?

Savant
Savant
Its almost as if as an industry we have been crying out for that bridge between Medical Devices and IT. I mean its only because even the most basic of thermometers can be networked these days?!
The big question remains as to were medical device managers/departments even considered in the digital plan by the government? Probably not as it can be farmed out to a contractor.
We are experiencing the same as you and have now been put on the end of the list for the roll out to W10. We have had several teams in to talk to us about what we have and what we need. However i feel that the IT team here have never had a "box" for us to fit in and therefor its too difficult to do.
There will hopefully come a day whereby medical device teams will be seen as the wizards and sorcerers that we are and be given new wands and broomsticks and cauldrons to overcome this obstacle.
Manufacturers have been ready for W10, sadly the device replacement programs are ten years behind due to under funding and will always be playing catch up with the respected service software needed.
My suggestion is that you do the hard work yourself and grab as much as you can from your manufacturer reps, stick it on a flash drive and lock it away until IT come to you for a favor.
Or even suggest that you retain certain PC's with W7 on it for the purpose of service software and nothing else. Or privately purchase a W7 laptop from a reputable seller and keep it hidden, IT would never know . . . .

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
Super Hero
Super Hero
Yes (I was going to post something similar earlier) ... you need to hide your secret stash of old PCs and (or) laptops.

I have seen places where old PCs were retained to be dedicated to particular (stand-alone) tasks ... connected to a pump tester, for example. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Some test kit still needs a 9-pin serial connector. Often an old "DOS" machine will suffice.

Such PCs need (should) not be connected to the internet; and "outsiders" (such as the IT Department) should be prevented from interfering with them.

And on your broader point ... the Chief Biomedical Engineer should be the King of the Hospital (with IT kept firmly on a tight rein); with the Biomedical Techs being the Princes (see Niccolo Machiavelli).

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted by Neoteny
Our IT department is stating due to the NHS Digital guidelines ...
What Guidelines would these be, I wonder?

And, on a broader point, surely Biomed is not the only department that uses (needs) "old-fashioned" PCs for specific purposes? I'm thinking of the clinical labs, maybe Respiratory Therapy and places like that; anywhere that has PCs attached to medical kit, lab instruments and what-have-you.

Not everyone needs the latest "gee-whiz" super-connected stuff to do their work.

But lastly, surely Windows 11 is the latest "must have"?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 91 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ryan Lowell, sam1664, MBanks, Blazingapostle, Volkswagen
9,894 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,816