Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Thread Like Summary
Huw
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#75749 10/25/2020 11:33 AM
by Huw
Huw
I've been contacted by someone asking about this old dental unit...

Hi there I bought a house a number of years ago now and as you do with a new house inspect the attic and to my surprise what appears to be an old dental machine (SIROBOX - ASH ... serial number 991 ) is written on the rear of the machine.

I have tried to track down the manufacturer (A.D engineering co. Ltd. Walton on Thames Surrey) on various search engines but I have drawn a blank maybe this company has ceased to trade as this dental machine seems very old.

Anyway I was wondering if you could shed any light on it as i am looking to have it valued.

I expect it's of little value as everything will have perished, but asking anyway.
Liked Replies
by Geoff Hannis
Geoff Hannis
Amalgamated Dental is now part of the international company Plandent.

As far as I recall the last decent dental unit badged as an "Ash" (derived from Claudius Ash, one of the "legacy" companies that formed A.D.) was the Ranger - which was a traditional dental unit (as those lucky enough to attend the Arborfield course back in the 1970's may remember with some fondness).

After that they tried their hand at a cheap "mobile" unit (corrugated umbilical tubing being much in favour), similar to the Tridac units (also cheap) supplied later on to the MOD. This (the Ash unit) was indeed the Sirobox.

Apparently Siro can mean "slim", or "graceful" (which may have been what A.D. had in mind); but Siro was also Virgil's teacher. Not to be confused with Sirona of course; which I think may mean "goddess".

There is a nice photo on line of an Ash Sirobox (still installed) in an abandoned prison in Northern Ireland.

Value of the unit in the attic? Approximately zero, I would suggest. Although i believe that the Science Museum in Kensington still holds some historic A.D. items.

However, it must be said that the photo shows the unit to be pretty much complete, so maybe someone out there in the world may be happy to have it donated, even if only as a source of spare parts.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Umaru Ayoub, Bumloka, Koots201, kevhewitt, Maxi
9,878 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,788
Posts72,567
Members9,878