EBME Forums

New Server

Posted By: Huw

New Server - 04/10/13 10:28 AM

Due to the number of problems we've had of late, ebme.co.uk is moving again. More specifically, we are upgrading and moving to a new server and new hosting company.

To minimise downtime, it'll be done over the weekend.

However... I am expecting all sorts of broken links, missing parts of the site and odd looking pages.

Please feel free to report any problems in this thread, but please keep them to short one-liners if possible.

Thanks.

Re: New Server - 04/10/13 11:15 AM

It's just been pointed out to me that I should mention that the address www.ebme.co.uk and all site logins will remain the same.

This move is with regards to stability and future expansion.
Posted By: ariel dulay

Re: New Server - 05/10/13 1:03 AM

Very Nice and Congrats.
Posted By: John Stewart

Re: New Server - 05/10/13 8:20 AM

Good new and fresh upgrade Huw, well done! smile

(but where's my avatar?)

Re: New Server - 05/10/13 8:50 AM

Thanks guys.
John - your avatar has returned. Thanks for informing me, as many were missing. smile
Posted By: Geoff Hannis

Re: New Server - 06/10/13 12:43 PM

One liners only? OK then, here goes:-

1) From the users point of view:- the "corporate makeover" means an extra step to move on from the front page to the forum (no big deal, just an observation really).

2) From an artistic point of view:- the red "banner" is too *vivid (IMHO). I would suggest toning it down (or better yet, reverting to a [softer] blue).

3) Are you still working on transferring the Downloads section (I can't find some of the earlier "gems")?

* Is that blood red?

Re: New Server - 06/10/13 12:55 PM

Stay on topic please.

3) Yes downloads are still being transferred.
In the meantime, the old downloads directory can be found here: https://www.ebme.co.uk/files/

Posted By: Cyberdog

Re: New Server - 07/10/13 3:13 PM

Bit annoying that links I have already clicked on aren't a different colour, as with the old site. I found that quite useful.

Re: New Server - 07/10/13 3:51 PM

Which links do you mean? (The forum links on the home-page use the same code.)

Re: New Server - 07/10/13 8:39 PM

Now that I'm logged in, the links are changing colour in the forum, but the job vacancy ones aren't

Re: New Server - 08/10/13 12:21 PM

Can we please have all that stuff about cookies, "do you Tweet?", "privacy settings", *"analytics", consent to this and that ... etc. consigned to fixed options on the Profile page?

That is, so the settings default as required at each log-in.

That is - "they" (it, whatever) remember(s) what I said the last time. smile

* No, I don't particularly want to be bugged by anybody, thanks.

Re: New Server - 08/10/13 12:31 PM

You are off topic again Geoff. This thread is for faults/ problems.
Quote:
Can we please have all that stuff about cookies, "do you Tweet?", "privacy settings", consent to this and that ... etc. consigned to the Profile options?

1) New(ish) European cookie Law. Nothing I can do about that.
2) Tweets. Like it or not, Facebook & Twitter are here and not using them these days would be web suicide.

Re: New Server - 08/10/13 1:41 PM

At risk of being off topic, I think the Privacy tab is pretty nifty, and an effective way to comply with the mentioned new(ish) law without having a bleeding 'orrible window pop up in your face.
Posted By: NIBiomed

Re: New Server - 10/10/13 8:41 AM

Love the new look of the website :-D

Re: New Server - 12/10/13 1:07 PM

What I like is the Articles panel at top left of the new front page. Nicely arranged, with good graphics.

It's the first thing that catches your eye when you fire up, and "sets the scene" (of what the site is all about) quite well. smile

I notice that the topics rotate (refresh) now and then, also. It's a nice touch.
Posted By: DaveC in Oz

Re: New Server - 17/10/13 6:14 AM

I like the flag thingey, might need to be a bit bigger to accommodate all the different visiting nations though.
Lots of visitors from the US which I am surprised by as there are not that many contributors as far as I can remember. Perhaps they are too shy blush

Re: New Server - 28/10/13 2:46 PM

I'm not sure that the flag thingy is truly representative of our traffic as a huge amount of it comes from behind a handful of NHS servers.

By the way, in the three weeks since moving to the new server we have transferred 50+ Gigabytes of data.

Re: New Server - 28/10/13 10:56 PM

I had a look at the counter web site a while back and noted that it could be set to count total, monthly, weekly or daily visits. Don't know which one you have set (suspect total) but perhaps one of the others would be more revealing of usage info.
(I also wish they had the facility to roll over a flag to be shown where it is from).

Re: New Server - 22/01/14 4:20 PM

I've just realised there is no way to access the forum from the home page without going via a post on the left hand bar. Surely there should be a link in the header?

Re: New Server - 22/01/14 4:36 PM

How about this? smile

Posted By: biomedbill

Re: New Server - 23/01/14 12:21 PM

Huw,

I've got the same problem as Cyberdog. The only visible button on the menu is the HOME buton. Is this a IE problem? I am only able to run IE7 due to out archaic IT infrastructure.

Re: New Server - 23/01/14 1:03 PM

Interesting. This is the first I am hearing of this.

I don't have any PCs with that older version on, but I will look into this.

@Cyberdog - can you please let me know your version?

Wiki says...
Quote:
As of May 2012, estimates of IE7's global market share were 1.5-5%
That doesn't help you though, does it?

Out of curiosity, what do your IT guys say about upgrading?
Posted By: brains

Re: New Server - 23/01/14 5:48 PM

Sorry, but its the same for me. On the main home page the only button in that top banner is the 'Home' one ('Advertise' and 'submit a job' are in small font below this).

However, for example; from this page the banner is correct and as per your screen grab - in that all 8 buttons/links are visable in the Red banner, including 'Forum'.

Im running IE V8.0, Win XP SP3 and latest Win updates installed.

Happens irrespective of viewing the site logged in or not.

Not helpful; but I cant rememeber if this has always been the case with the banner buttons issue, since the launch of the nice new site.
Posted By: Neil Porter

Re: New Server - 23/01/14 6:14 PM

Why is anyone running IE?

Re: New Server - 23/01/14 6:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have IE7 but I used an external simulator and it looks ok to me (see below).
I have been able to find an IE8 version - and it also looks ok to me.

Could I ask people who are using the site outside of the NHS to report if they are seeing any problems, please?

If so, what version browser are you using?

Re: New Server - 24/01/14 10:25 AM

Tried it on Firefox, still the same. I get all of the buttons on the Forums pages but not the home page. Running XP SP3. We are getting Win 7 soon but that could take some time.

Re: New Server - 24/01/14 11:40 AM

Thanks Bill. Is that using an NHS server?

Re: New Server - 24/01/14 12:30 PM

Yep.

Re: New Server - 24/01/14 1:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Huw

Could I ask people who are using the site outside of the NHS to report if they are seeing any problems, please?

If so, what version browser are you using?

Everything looks OK here. FireFox 13.0.1 running on Windows 5.1 (XP Professional SP3) at the Local Library! smile

Re: New Server - 24/01/14 11:53 PM

All good on IE8 from down under (XP SP3 if it makes any difference)
Posted By: Mark Radbourne

Re: New Server - 25/01/14 9:33 AM

Using IE 11 on windows 8 pc, all works fine Huw

Re: New Server - 25/01/14 11:49 AM

Thank you for the feedback guys.

As far as I can see, this problem is only occuring on the NHS network.

I'd like to hear if anyone is seeing this problem outside of the NHS.

Re: New Server - 24/02/14 1:47 PM

Sorry about the current appearance of the home page. wink

Can anyone who was previously experiencing menu problems - please let me know if there is still an issue.

Thanks.

Re: New Server - 01/05/19 9:52 PM

Well, here we go again...

The company that hosts this site was (a few months ago) purchased by one of the big names in the web-hosting world and the service has suffered badly.
As a result, we are once again moving to a new hosting service.

The move will be on Friday/ Saturday and I shall try to minimise downtime.
If anyone would care to report any issues, it would be most helpful.

Thank you.
© 2020 EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.