EBME Forums
i would like to ask your advice, the hospital im working in is planning to expand in other areas and they made a contract with an Architectural consultant to propose the layout of the hospital, for the clinical department i proposed :
- SPARE PARTS STORE
- STORE
- WORKSHOPE+WORKSTATION
- MECHANICAL WORKSHOPE
- LIBRARY
- LOCKER ROOM
- BREAK ROOM
- SPECIAL HAZARD AREA
- DOCUMENTATION ROOM
- SUPERVISOR
- MANAGER
- ADMINSTRATOR + ASSISTANT
- DIRECTOR
- CONFERENCE ROOM

as per them they are following the IAI;american institute of architecture; standard and our requirement is not part of that standard so could you advice regarding my request; is it part of that standard or is there any international standard that discrib the area managment and distribution of the clinical enineering department in the hospital.
Hi Aziz,
You have to consider the electrical wiring to go in the Department as well as Gas Supplies to test Equipment with Gases.
A Kitchen space is handy too smile

If my own experience* is anything to go by, the Architect will be totally clueless about the requirements of Biomedical Engineering. frown

But have you seen what they are proposing yet?

What I would suggest is that you draw up your own requirements on a 1:50 scale drawing, and then insist on meetings with all concerned, at an early stage. Then stick to your guns.

If you lose control of the project then there's every chance that you'll end up being, shall we say, disappointed. More than that, at some stage great expense will be incurred in "putting things right" - things that should have been right from the beginning!

Good Luck! smile

* I write as someone who has worked with firms of Architects and Engineers in Jeddah, Riyadh, Al-Khobar, Al-Hasa and other parts of KSA - and one who has spent a great deal of time clearing up the messes made by so-called "professional" engineers and architects!
my requirements for the department was based on some articals that i read, but when discussing my requirments with the Architect he said that he is following the IAI standards. i just dont want for the biomedical department to be sacrified for other departments; usually this is the story in all hospitals; so i need some international reference that support my requirements for the department; not only an artical; so if you have it can you share it.

I am not aware of any definitive architectural codes for Clinical Engineering. The various references always seemed very sketchy to my mind.

Anyway, the design should be based upon actual requirements, not some "one size fits all" "cookie cutter" approach lifted straight out of an architectural handbook.

At the very least, argue with the guy and get him to justify his design.

In the past we (I) sometimes referred to existing successful floor plans. There are many hospitals in Riyadh to compare. Why not get the architect to go along with you and visit a few?

You guys are the local experts ... so (as I have already suggested), be clear and firm with your requirements, and then insist upon their implementation. smile
From personal experience i can tell him that pushing large very expensive items of medical equipment across carparks or trying to get operating tables in and out of lifts is not a good idea.

Being in the same building and on the same level as the operating theatres is an advantage.

Lee

No doubt many (most) of us can relate to that, Lee.

But, fortunately, in Riyadh you won't find too many Victorian buildings, or hospitals that have evolved from WWII army camps, and such like. whistle

Slightly off topic (maybe):- back in my days on the "Hospital Design Team(s)" - when faced with a "clean sheet of paper" I always started off with OR (the operating theatres), then placed CSD adjacent (either physically, or by elevator as a second choice). ICU should be next door. And all with good routes (usually via large elevators) to Radiology. Then - yes - biomed somewhere nearby.

In large hospitals, it was always nice to have sub-workshops within the OR suite, and sometimes in the Laboratories (the largest department in terms of kit) as well. Also in Haemodialysis, in hospitals that included that department (as many in KSA do).

On the other hand, I have seen so many designs "by others" where the biomed department was an after-thought (if remembered at all), to be tacked on in some inhospitable and unsuitable location. Behind the Mortuary seemed to be favourite!

If biomeds continue to hide in the basement, or allow themselves to be bullied into Portakabins, broom-cupboards, or even (as I have seen) the Boiler House, then how can anyone still take them seriously when they whinge on about "not getting respect" etc., etc. frown
i somehow agree regarding the general view of the biomed teams yet we manage to make a good image for the clinical enineering department in the hospital. we are part of those who try to get a piece of the cake; not only the leftover; and actually it feels good. but for the first time here we are not the ones to say:( this is the standard and we are not going to break it). our requirements are logical for infection control; safety, and high quality of service delivery. if there is no standard to support it, we will make our own.

its like starting a revolution :P

That's the spirit, Abdulaziz. smile
Have a look at the NHS Estates Health Building Note 34. It's a bit old and based on Medical Engineering as part of the wider Estates function. I'm not aware of anything more recent - Might help - a copy can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/Documents/254/HBN%2034%203214901.pdf
Graham
you can also try www-cbahi-com where you not have all the building regulations, but medical equipment requirements as well
Hbn 34 is the only guidance out there as nothing in the recent htm guidance
Email me and with what you have and space and will work from there Paul
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.