EBME Forums

Cleaning Medical Equipment

Posted By: Lee S

Cleaning Medical Equipment - 28/06/17 11:57 AM

Hello

For cleaning equipment like Infusion pumps and Syringe Drivers we use Clinell Universal Wipes.

What are you using to clean your Medical Equipment?

Lee
Posted By: DaveC in Oz

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 28/06/17 10:01 PM

Hi Lee,

Personally, I don't think BME should be cleaning the equipment at all.

Removing the glue from a test sticker that has been taken off, yes but general cleaning, no. I would rather my staff spent their time doing their core functions of calibration, preventative maintenance, performance verification and repairs rather than seeing trained and skilled staff cleaning crap off equipment.

It's not our role to clean that is up to the users or in the worst case, CSSD.
Posted By: Topper

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 8:30 AM

Same here.
I have a zero tolerance policy (backed up by Trust policy) of collecting or accepting any device that isn't visibly clean, labelled and correctly reported. I think I'm pretty much on my own regarding this approach compared to other Techs but hey guess what? it works. My customers know it will remain uncollected therefore they follow policy and do what is required and we all get on fine with no animosity or confrontation.
Of course there will always be cases where it is necessary to do some cleaning and I use PDI Sani-cloth.
I did report an issue to MHRA ;last year regarding the claimed used of the wipes mentioned in the OP softening the insulation on an ECG trunk cable block, possibly combined with incubator heat. Nothing came of it.

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 9:23 AM

Okay; let me rephase the question.

Our Trust uses Clinell Universal Wipes for cleaning equipment like Infusion pumps and Syringe Drivers.

What is being used in your organisation to clean Medical Equipment?

Lee
Posted By: Geoff Hannis

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 10:24 AM

Well ... they look OK.

And cheaper by the bucket load! whistle
Posted By: John Harte

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 2:40 PM

I agree that the external parts of equipment should be cleaned before being sent to clinical engineering but there are several areas on infusion pumps etc that ward staff cannot clean .When doing a PPM or service I would consider a deep clean of all parts of equipment as part of our job and is easy to do while pumps etc are running flow test etc . I find antistatic foam cleaner ( RS ) is great for this and the equipment goes back into service looking like a proper professional service was done pride in ones work . Also I find if I return equipment looking fresh and new the user respect this and take care to try and keed it that way

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 5:44 PM

I (for one) agree with all that you're saying there, John.

Perhaps we went to the same school. smile

Mr.Sheen rules!
Posted By: Rob1234

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 7:25 PM

Yeah, we use Clinell wipes - not a great fan - they leave the equipment looking like its been cleaned with a dirty rag:

[Linked Image]

Have to use antistatic cleaner afterwards to get this off!

They say they are hand safe but I don't like the feel of them, I always glove up or wash my hands immediately after using them.

I agree with John, staff can't get to some of the parts we can get to and to be honest I'll do a lot better job at cleaning than one of the nurses or housekeepers ever will. Even if it comes in with a decontamination form and *looks* clean, I'll give it a once over with a Clinell when doing the visual inspection for my own peace of mind.
A soak in hot soapy water and a scrub with a stiff brush (these are great if you give the bristles a haircut to half size) for gruby plastic bits with intricate mouldings (Asena syringe clamp comes to mind) that need to be removed during repair.

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 7:47 PM

Yes; I was wondering if those Clinell wipes might be a bit too "wet" (I have never used - or even seen - them, myself).

I should imagine that they are really intended as a "clinical strength" surface disinfectant, rather than for general purpose cleaning.

TBH I generally prefer the good old-fashioned (and cheaper) alternatives - such as "hot soapy water" (with, if necessary, a few drops of Dettol, or similar). smile
Posted By: Rob1234

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 8:40 PM

Think of them as a less pleaseant form of those Dettol multi surface wipes you can buy in any supermarket.

To be honest Geoff because they come in a pack that is about 3" thick, the top ones tend to be a bit too dry and the bottom ones are absolutely swimming. The only way I've found to kinda counteract this is as you use them is to store the pack the other way up every day (works provided you remember to clip the pack firmly closed when you turn them upside down....!)

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 29/06/17 9:01 PM

Back to Alcowipes, then (individual sachets). smile

70% v/v Isopropyl Alcohol BP
Posted By: Chris Pearson

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 30/06/17 5:37 AM

We are definately seeing widespread degredation of plastic components with cracking of handset cases and cables on Digiterm chairs cleaned with Clinell wipes which is currently being tested at Digiterms factory.
We think one of the components in the fluid is removing the plastisiser.
Also had reports from customers of plastic components on the front of dialysis machines cracking and a screen damaged.

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 30/06/17 10:47 AM

There is always going to be a downside somewhere along the line when "industrial chemicals" are used as disinfectants or cleansing agents - especially on "plastics" of various compositions.

No doubt all manufacturers these days make recommendations about how (what to use) to clean their equipment. Our old friend "hot soapy water" (and tepid, too) seems to be favourite.

Meanwhile, I have had good results in the past when experimenting with "natural" substances, usually locally (and cheaply) available; freshly squeezed lemon - and even clear spring water - come to mind! smile
Posted By: Stargolf

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 30/06/17 3:29 PM

As new kid on the block have seen similar problems to Chris, but its not the Cinell wipes that is the problem in Dialysis clinic's I have seen the using a product called "viacon" which is very agressive and causes problems with plastic

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 30/06/17 6:27 PM

Did you mean Virkon? think

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 01/07/17 5:54 PM

Meanwhile, I forked out a quid for a pack of forty "Anti+Bac Original Multi-Surface Wipes" at Tesco's today. smile

Non-aggressive, yet more than adequate for most run-of-the-mill surface disinfecting, I would have thought.

Anything contaminated with the more esoteric bugs should be referred to Infection Control and (or) CSSD anyway, I reckon.

1) Wetwipe info.
2) CosIng database (example)

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 02/07/17 8:25 PM

Geoff,

Thanks yes i did mean Vircon had mental block

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 03/07/17 11:37 AM

Hello

Chris do you know what type of plastic is being affected?

Lee
Posted By: Dustcap

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 03/07/17 11:56 AM

Welch Allyn provide labels that state "clinell safe" for the users to place on their products. Clinell needs to be applied and then removed several minutes later with a damp cloth, this is recommended by Clinell. Be very cautious when using Clinell on any older plastic devices as they will degrade the strength over time.
Posted By: RonS

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 03/07/17 2:09 PM

Not sure if it's of interest, but some of my colleagues looked into disinfection including different wipe types/ingredients, link here

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 03/07/17 4:51 PM

Lee, Where I have seen the problem is mainly on the curly cord on the hand set where the outer sheath of the cable is splitting
Posted By: John Harte

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 04/07/17 10:35 AM

everybody is talking about wipes but they will not clean all the nooks and crannies on equipment as I said before the anti static foam cleaner and a soft small brush all the dirt rolls of and it is not harm full to plastic also seems to help stop build up of new grime

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 04/07/17 11:28 AM

... not to mention Cotton Buds! smile

Plus a whole arsenal of relatively non-aggressive cleansing agents ... most of which should be available from your local hardware store (shop) - if you're lucky enough to still have one in town!
Posted By: DaveC in Oz

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 20/07/17 11:17 PM

Thought this might interest some...........................

Attached File
Attached File

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 22/07/17 5:45 PM

Yes; interesting. smile

If only the residue from computer viruses were so easily dealt with! whistle
Posted By: Moira

Re: Cleaning Medical Equipment - 26/09/17 2:24 PM

Thanks, RonS, that's a very useful document. We've seen surface crazing developing on some equipment cases here, so need to look again at our cleaning policy.
© 2019 EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.