EBME Forums
Posted By: fortyseven_med 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000 help - 02/01/12 8:19 PM
Hello, everyone. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to what to check or how to verify how a heart and lung machine is working properly. There's an important surgery coming up and I have absolutely no clue as to how this machine works.

Much thanks in advance
Posted By: Paul Robbins Re: 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000 help - 03/01/12 10:50 AM
Hi,
Its been many a year since I last a Sarns system apart for service, based on 20 years of experiance in servicing perfusion equipment and having reviewed the spec for your kit as reproduced below, which tells me that you are going to need a fair understanding of perfusion operation and some very specfic test kit. If you do have no real understanding of what the kit is doing them - my very serious advice to you would be not to play at all, each of the functions below needs to be confirmed and and set for each pump on the system - the sections of this say around hed occulsion and the like will require the use of specfic tight tolerance jigs and measureing equipment.

I really would in all seriousness advise you to get your local agent in, to due the job for you, they should have the kit to calibrate and service this kit correctly. I say this since with all perfusion kit once the patient is hooked upto it there is no easy way back and the patient is totally dependant on the function of the equipment. I hate to say it but in this case discretion is the best.
MODEL 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000
DISPLAYS (CHANNELS)
Flow rate (DISPLAYS) Yes
TEMPERATURE 6
Pressure 3
Time monitors (DISPLAYS (CHANNELS)) 5
AUX POWER SYSTEM
Manual crank (AUX POWER SYSTEM) Nonreversing
Type (CONFIGURATION) Sealed lead-acid gel
Operating time, hr (Spontaneous/cpap) 1
Charging time, hr (AUX POWER SYSTEM) 12
DIMENSIONS (HXWXD), CM (IN) (DETECTION PROCESS, HR) 64.3x 115.1 x 61 (25.3x 45.3 x 24)
WEIGHT, kg (lb) (DISPLAY) ~204(450)
CONFIGURATION
No. of pump positions (CONFIGURATION) Up to 5 - for details please see comments5 (integrated drop-in modules)
SAFETY FEATURES (WORKING STEPS)
Level detector (SAFETY FEATURES) Ultrasonic
Air bubble detector (SAFETY FEATURES) Ultrasonic
Pump head covers (SAFETY FEATURES) Yes
Pump reverse guard (SAFETY FEATURES) Yes
POWER NEEDED, VAC (ENERGY) 100/115/220
SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS
Pulsatile pumping (CONFIGURATION) Optional
Venous flow clamp (SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS) Optional - for details please see commentselectronic
Water mixer (SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS) Optional
Gas flowmeters (SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS) Electronic
Writing table (SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS) Optional
Illumination (DETECTOR) Yes
Peripherals outlets (SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS) 24VDC
Other (ROTORS) Built-in gas blender
PUMP CHARACTERISTICS (CONFIGURATION) Roller
Drive system (CONFIGURATION) Dual belt
Flow rate, l/min (CONFIGURATION) 0-9.99
Head sizes, cm (in) (SAFETY FEATURES) 15.2(6)
Roller sizes, cm (in) (SAFETY FEATURES) 4.4(1.75)
Tubing sizes, cm (in) (CONFIGURATION) Up to 1.9 (0.75) OD
Occlusion adjustment method (SAFETY FEATURES) Knob
OTHER SPECIFICATIONS (AIR SUPPLY) Self-diagnostics;
MARKETING REGION (Interference compensation) Worldwide
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000 help - 03/01/12 12:57 PM

Paul is right, Juan. To be blunt about it, if you don't know what you're doing, you would be best advised to keep well away!

But ... how about some "background" here. Is the machine in regular use? How come folk there have (apparently) only just realised that it requires special tech support ... etc. frown
That's the very reason I am well worried. Although I seek not to service the equipment, just test it, I have never seen it working. The last time I know it was used was in mid October and none of us were present.
I am trying my best to get to someone who can help us, but I haven't had any luck.

The sad part about this, is that the person who will depend on the machine is our hospital administrator who refuses to seek service contracts for equipment we have no experience with. Ironic.

Should I step down and avoid any possible liability?
Hi,
Ok I suggest that as the system is currently made and supported under the Terumo banner, that you try. Terumo Latin America which I think or so my pc says is Mexico based. Hopefully dispite their current FDA trade and support restrictions some one from their sales force and thats really all you need if you want some one to just check things over; - check the pumps run at the right RPM, pressure sensors operate oxygenator level and air embolisem detectors function, cardioplegia and heater cooler controls, x clamp timers etc etc run that sort of thing - should be able to help you if you explain the clinical need.
Excellent Paul. I already sent an email and at the same time get someone who works there.

Thank you very very much.

Cheers
Posted By: Kawasaki Re: 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000 help - 05/01/12 4:47 PM
Hi
You definitely need a perfusionist working alongside you on this. He will know what occlusion settings he requires as this will depend on the type of roller head tubing he is using. The same goes for the air detector etc.

Best of luck.
Posted By: 1entegreci1 Re: 3M Sarns Perfusion System 9000 help - 05/11/13 11:39 PM
Please check this web page as : http://www.entegreci.com/wpnukes_galleries/sarns-9000-kalp-akciger-pompasi-tamiri/
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.