EBME Forums
Posted By: med1c Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 26/02/12 10:39 AM
Hi, I have a zoll M series (12 lead, mono, pacing, sao2) that displays 'clock fault 12', looking through fault codes it indicates that I need to get the system board changed.

on a bit of a tight budget (charity equipment) so looking through certified OM refurbished parts and complete boards coming up at circa 2000 dollars (have a local EBME who will fit at cost as long as i do all the legwork and supply correct parts).

2 questions:

1) is it the whole system board that will need replacing? (if so, can anyone provide correct part no as there seem to be a few sub assesmblies involved)

2) does anyone know anyone in UK who is able to refurbish the board and how much am i looking at?

cheers
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 26/02/12 12:43 PM

Is there any sign of a small back-up battery on the main board? think

If so, I would look there first.
Posted By: med1c Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 26/02/12 1:40 PM
Hi

looking at the fault code, it would seem that this is the internal battery for the clock. seems a lot of money to pay for someone to 'recondition' a whole assembly for what may be a small battery that needs replacement.
will take a peek, cheers
Posted By: CHJ Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 10:39 AM
Hi Medic,

We had a Zoll M series sent in from a client that had similar issues with Zoll - they sent it to Zoll first and they said that repair was going to cost around 1k.

They sent it to us and we checked it over and managed the repair for a fraction of the cost.

I'd be happy to get one of our enginers to take a look at it for if you want?

Regards,
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 2:01 PM

What was wrong with it (what was the actual fault)? think
Posted By: CHJ Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 4:37 PM
Hi Geoff,

I've got a feeling that the fault was something similar to what Medic has described, but as I'm not an engineer I'm not certain what the fault actually was.

I just know that Zoll quoted alot for the repair to be done and we managed the repair at about 20% of the cost because Zoll were quoting for a lot of things that didn't need doing.

I'm sure it was something to do with an internal battery (and not the main battery either before you make a note at my lack of technical knowledge smile ).

Regards,
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 5:14 PM

Manufacturers, manufacturers' service agents, and accredited (professional) servicing organisations have little choice but to quote for repairs to the highest standard. They don't really have an option to be (what we might call) "imaginative" when it comes to repairing equipment ...

... but I notice that our friend has mentioned the magic word:- "charity". To my mind, this is where different rules may apply ... on the grounds that repaired equipment, even by using "good used" parts and "traditional" repair techniques, is better than no equipment at all (just as long as it's safe, gives results within acceptable norms etc., etc.). Sometimes equipment that would normally be considered uneconomical to repair can actually be repaired for nothing, or next to nothing. smile
Posted By: RoJo Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 5:47 PM
My question is:
Where in the world is Med1c? (He does ask about people in the UK but is he? or is it just the charity which is based here?)

And suplemenatary to this is: What resources does (s)he have available to effect the repair?

Robert
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 27/02/12 7:24 PM

I have also wondered, Robert. To be honest I have come across similar "handles" on eBay. But I thought we had better let the guy tell us when he is good and ready.

However, we could also take the view (could we not?):- does it matter where someone is, or where a charity is based? Surely what actually matters is the opportunity to do a bit of good, in this otherwise lousy, greedy, screwed-up world? My only caution (having been "caught out" before) is whether we are actually talking about a genuine "helping our brothers and sisters" situation ... or are we simply helping someone line their pockets? think

And the supplementary answer is:- once a case is proven to be genuine (and we wait with baited breath), resources can be made available (but why do you ask ... are you volunteering your own services?). smile
Posted By: RoJo Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 29/02/12 8:29 AM
Totally agree about helping people but the answers might be different where in the world people are. Saying to someone:"Pop down Maplin and pick up part number......" does not work in the middle of the bush.
Robert

As an aside (and possibly this should be a different thread), I am looking to do some work in Gambia for a charity, anyone any experience of the place, conditions there etc etc etc.
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 29/02/12 9:19 AM

I can't imagine myself ever saying anything like that, Robert ... but never mind. I was in "the Bush" a long time myself, remember, so know all about "improvisation". whistle

On the second point:- well done! I have given up any thoughts about that sort of thing myself now. The only "offers" to travel I ever received these last eight years have been of the "pay your own way" variety (meaning thousands each time). The World could be my (your) Oyster if only I had plenty of dough to splash about.

However (back to reality), like many other things, I have let my passport "wither on the vine" so the only (limited) help I can offer these days needs to be of the "remote" kind (like here on the forum, for example) and supporting activities here in the UK (which is something that I'm always happy to consider). But (whilst we're on the topic of "charity") I may as well mention that my favourite equipment donating charity has finally closed the shed doors. All very sad really. frown
Posted By: med1c Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 29/02/12 6:46 PM
My question is:
Where in the world is Med1c? (He does ask about people in the UK but is he? or is it just the charity which is based here?)

Hi all, sorry about the late reply. I am a para working for the NHS (in the UK) who also vounteers to respond from home as part of a local charity scheme.
As you will all know, money is tight for everyone (including charitys) So I have kitted myself up at my own cost.

And suplemenatary to this is: What resources does (s)he have available to effect the repair?

Absolutely none, all electromed equipment is passed on to an authorised EBME department for service/inspection at regular intervals and we operate within a rigid governence scheme in that no equipment can be used that is not 1) checked and calibrated by an authorised source, 2) registered with the medical director of the charity.
as posted, equipment will be passed on to an authorised EBME facility who is happy to fix if I supply the authorised OEM part(s)

the problem: unit will not swich on via battery (yes, I have checked the battery) but will turn on when attached to 12V via charging socket and display CLOCK FAULT 12

cheers for the replys so far, please be assured that I do not wish anyones bank details so we can share in the $10,000,000 that I happened to find in my bank and need to move out of the country grin
Posted By: med1c Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 02/03/12 4:31 PM
Very interesting day, popped the unit to my local EBME department with thoughts of swiftly re labeling the unit 'scrap', he gave a knowing look and 2 mins later had popped the screen off, opened up the main unit and replaced the coin battery.
as if by magic, the unit now works fine with no fault codes, the cost? 2.44 for the battery and a tenner for the labour and brew.

now thats service :-) better than the several hundred I was looking at paying out for a new board. will rebook for full EBME check up and then the unit is ready to go

cheers everyone for your help on this matter
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 02/03/12 5:32 PM

What about the biscuits? think

(nice to hear that I was right with that one)

Whilst I'm on ... I'm also interested in the charity you mentioned. I'm wondering how come it's needed ... what with all the NHS paramedics I see noisily charging around the streets every day (evenings, usually).

St.John's ... or something like that?
Posted By: med1c Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 05/03/12 11:55 AM
Hi Geoff,

The Charity is a local BASICS scheme where Dr's and Paramedics (with increased skills and equipment) respond in their own time to requests for extended skills at the scene of road accidents/trauma/medical etc, usually at the requests of the ambulance crew on scene.
It will always be needed because no organisation will pay to have staff with extended skills 'hanging around' just in case of an accident, I like the fact it is voluntary, tends to attract the right sort of person
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Zoll M series, clock fault 12 - 05/03/12 1:15 PM

Originally Posted By: med1c
I like the fact it is voluntary, tends to attract the right sort of person

Amen to that, brother. smile
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.