EBME Forums
Posted By: bongski55 Linux on Medical Equipment - 24/08/04 6:18 PM
Can anybody name any medical equipment which uses Linux as the operating system?
Posted By: RonS Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 9:34 AM
I can't name any, but it's certainly an interesting idea... although as long as equipment companies can charge customers an arm and a leg for their kit, there's not going to be a great deal of cost saving by eliminating the price of a copy of Window$... I suspect the interfacing wouldn't be too much of a problem, as I believe the i386 PC platform is pretty standard in medical kit now but I am sure someone could name some kit running on bizarre platforms I know nowt about!

Plus there's the added hassle of teaching Windows-savvy end users the vagaries of a Linux GUI... mind you there was a time when post-DOS software running on Windows utilised a bespoke GUI and people were generally able to get on with it, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard. Not being a regular Linux user I am unaware which GUI's are available now, I am sure someone will have something pretty close to Windows available. That said the GUI with my version of Red Hat (8.2?) is reasonably close in feel n function...
Posted By: bongski55 Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 11:36 AM
Windows, with all its instabilities,still is being used in medical equipment-extensively at that!
I don't get it!
Posted By: Jonathan Pope Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 11:56 AM
Welch Allynís Acuity central monitoring system. Uses Solaris (UNIX) on SunSPARC Hardware.

http://www.monitoring.welchallyn.com/products/systems/
Posted By: RonS Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 12:00 PM
I can only suggest that as I mentioned, everyone has been brainwashed by M$!

There is some movement toward Linux by government departments etc who are looking to save a few bob, but most people are going to be sceptical for a while to come yet. Joe public (and a lot of non-tech health workers) trust Microsoft products, and believe that Windows is a standard part of a computer system, and as long as they believe that we'll be lumped with it... that said, getting my devils advocate hat on, Windows still isn't as evil as a lot of the Linux community like to make out! Unstable, at times yes (tho I suspect a lot of this can be to do with poor hardware setup), but still a pretty useful piece of software...
Posted By: RoJo Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 12:01 PM
We have an electro-physiology cariac mapping system that runs on Linux. It used to run on Unix but the company upgraded their product and wanted to use cheaper standard PCs but did not trust Windows - also it was easier to convert from Unix to Linux.
This is the first Linux based medical equipment that I have seen.
I do know of an ECG machine that runs Windows95 and a selling point is that the users ca get to the Windows and use it instead of a PC, and install what? eek
Robert
Posted By: RonS Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 12:16 PM
RoJo - that's so bored cardiac techs can play Solitaire on it at night laugh
Posted By: Huw Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 4:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bongski55:
Windows, with all its instabilities,still is being used in medical equipment-extensively at that!
I don't get it!
add to that the odd virus....
Posted By: Tony Dowman Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 6:36 PM
Its frightening Huw, but good old Bill Gates is laughing all the way to the Bank !! frown T.
Posted By: Huw Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 25/08/04 7:24 PM
I think he owns the bank. boggle
Posted By: Roy Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 26/08/04 11:03 AM
Apparently he's just bought an old monastery in Italy and is doing it up as a "villa" for the odd weekend away.

He must be pretty good at DIY then !

It's a hard life.
Posted By: bongski55 Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 29/08/04 7:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
It's a hard life.
Yes especially for us biomeds!
Posted By: Paul Balaam Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 03/09/04 7:01 PM
Just seen the Philips Trim III ECG Pagewriter, it uses Windows CE and is capable to being plugged into the hospital network.

Now the fun starts with the first virus

I didn't ask the rep what AV precautions have been taken because to be fair he had only just seen the machine himself. But maybe something to bear in mind.
Posted By: Mark.E Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 06/09/04 10:25 PM
Been playing around with Linux, and so far find it much better than windows in all its forms... but then again Billy needs too be toppled !!!
Posted By: DAS Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 08/09/04 10:14 AM
Well we are in the process of having a new widebore CT installed. It is a GE Lightspeed. My understanding is that the control conole, & workstations (both diagnostic & Radiotherapy) are running Linux. Probably one of the few companies who can tell Microsoft to shove it.
Posted By: Declan Murray Re: Linux on Medical Equipment - 08/09/04 11:45 AM
We are almost ready to go to tender for alot of kit including RIS/Pacs.We have added a clause to the tenders that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to keep the operating systems updated re anti virus software. Will be interesting to see how this works out in the real world ie outside the tender document! I suppose it covers the litigation side of things...
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.