EBME Forums
Posted By: Geoff Hannis The Future of EBME - 02/01/05 11:10 AM
Like everything else in the real world, the future of EBME (please note the avoidance of 'biomed') in the UK National Health Service will, of necessity, be driven by economics.

Yes, many of 'the originals' will be sent out to graze within the next few years. So, the future will surely see lots of eager youngsters joining the fray. All to the good, as the whole scene needs to be freshened-up a bit (in my opinion, at least).

If (as Karl as suggested recently in another thread) young British people have lost the desire to work in maintenance-type endeavours, then their places will be filled by willing hands from overseas (just as they were in the case of British nurses). Only if, or when, our modern government finds it more cost-effective (or politically necessary) to train 'our own' technicians, will new training courses suddenly spring up (even if it means re-opening the gates at Arborfield!).

For those of you worried about survival, I would suggest just to continue to make yourself useful. And, frankly, I don't think that either AfC or Registration (voluntary or otherwise) will make a great deal of difference. The work will still be there to be done, and someone will have to do it (if the NHS is to continue to function more or less efficiently, that is).

I still believe that the key is the technician, and by that I mean the quality and calibre of technical manpower in the form of engineering technicians, and also that in-house EBME technicians are not only maintainers and repairers of equipment, but are also of necessity trainers and managers as well! That's where the money needs to be spent - in attracting good people, training them properly, 'bringing them on' (with us old 'uns as the mentors), offering them a decent career structure and then retaining them. We need new blood - young, fertile minds!

And, just, in case anyone missed my earlier utterances, I suggest that the way forward for the departments is a return to 'technician values' (primarily focussed on fixing the kit), risk-centred maintenance and the Zero-Budget model! smile
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 15/01/05 12:19 PM
Perhaps I'll have more luck with "The History of ..." frown
Posted By: bill_mcg Re: The Future of EBME - 17/01/05 8:04 AM
I think you're right Geoff after AFC and the pension fiasco EBME departments will be history because there will be nobody left in them !!
mad confused mad
Posted By: Simon Bennett Re: The Future of EBME - 19/01/05 9:19 AM
Didn't realise that the gates had closed at Arborfield! But there does seem to be a few courses springing up as you say including the likes of Eastwood park etc.
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 10:56 AM
Found this one whilst surfing this morning. It's only brief, but it offers one man's vision of the future of biomed (...how about some more, then?) smile

http://www.asiabio.com/cgi-script/csNews...02018%20v.F.pdf
Posted By: John Sandham Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 1:54 PM
Geoff - I wonder how may people are now worried about their future after reading that wink I do agree with the fact that equipment is getting cheaper, more reliable and requires less maintenence/calibration.
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 4:17 PM
Hi John,

Can't see why any body should be frightened by that. I reckon Brian de Francesca paints a pretty rosy picture. Let's hope what he suggests actually comes to pass.

By the way, can I assume that you're familiar with Brian's “Five Rings of Asset Management” (available at the same site). Surely they are all good stuff – in fact, dare I suggest that they have almost a Sandhamesque quality to them? wink

But, there again, Brian is fortunate enough to have his operation based in what we used to call the Far East (Singapore, Thailand), so perhaps that has something to do with it!

Lastly, and in passing - about the flag. I didn't realise you were from beyond the West of England, as it were, John. Surely not? Why not St. Perrin, I wonder? Meanwhile, you had better know about http://www2.thny.bbc.co.uk/devon/discovering/devon_flag/flag_06.shtml smile
Posted By: Tony Dowman Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 4:20 PM
Hi Guys, interesting article Geoff, smile but by 2018 the only Title I want is Pensioner laugh
Do you have to be on the Voluntary Register and Degree Qualified to get the Cash for that ??? boggle
Posted By: Tony Dowman Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 4:23 PM
Geoff, Johns the one in the Background putting up the Tents !! laugh
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 19/02/05 4:39 PM
Wrong Tony. John's the guy at the gate taking the money! smile
Posted By: RoJo Re: The Future of EBME - 21/02/05 4:30 PM
Oi be aliking of the modern caars they be a ahavin' of darn there in Devon. Me boyo.
None of this there muckin' out o' the 'orses for them lads be it.
Robert
Posted By: John Sandham Re: The Future of EBME - 22/02/05 12:09 PM
As a welshman with cornish heritage, I think the Devonites' have been quite cheeky copying the cornish flag and changing the background colour to green! wink
I missed that particular steam rally (Darn)But if i had been there, i would be loitering in the beer tent. smile

Please note: we have had complaints about topics going 'off topic' lets try to keep to the subject.
'The future of EBME'.
Posted By: Chilly.Penguin Re: The Future of EBME - 22/02/05 10:38 PM
Sorry off topic again, but we need a EBME flag!

Could this be launched at this year’s educational symposium?

Chilly
Posted By: John Sandham Re: The Future of EBME - 23/02/05 6:02 PM
Huw, Get to it! wink
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 23/02/05 7:31 PM
I was hoping that I had “stirred the pot” sufficiently in the original post on this topic to generate some worthy discussion. Obviously, I had hoped in vain. Or perhaps everyone simply agrees with what I was saying (which would, I suppose, be understandable)! wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Future of EBME - 23/02/05 8:26 PM
Is a HOFIT something to do with Lord of the Rings Geoff?
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 23/02/05 8:49 PM
Sorry, Richard, “off-topic” I’m afraid (…but no, I don’t believe in fairy tales – do you?). smile
Posted By: Dave H Re: The Future of EBME - 24/02/05 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Hannis:
I suggest that the way forward for the departments is a return to “technician values” (primarily focussed on fixing the kit), risk-centred maintenance and the Zero-Budget model! smile
Are you sure you don't believe in fairy tales Geoff
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 24/02/05 11:21 AM
Nice one. To which I can only reply that it depends really on who is the Fairy God-Mother!

But am I to take it, then Dave, that you don’t demur at any of the other points mentioned in the original post? smile
Posted By: Dave H Re: The Future of EBME - 24/02/05 11:43 AM
Actually Geoff I agree with all of them smile

Tho only problem is the fairy tale world I work in I'd need a magic potion to make the Wicked Witch of the Estates disappear before the magic pixies could come out in sufficient numbers to make the nasty old, smelly medical equipment disappear and be replaced with shiny new "you will go to the ball" decent stuff.
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 24/02/05 12:01 PM
…and the Wizard said to the wide-eyed eager youngsters about to join the fray, “But my bright young fellows, what you must understand above all else, is that the nasty old, smelly medical equipment is the job”!

The evil uncle, lurking near the forum, muttered under his rancid breath “Best run away then, lads, while you still can”. smile
Posted By: Mark.E Re: The Future of EBME - 24/02/05 7:24 PM
That’s where the money needs to be spent – in attracting good people, training them properly, “bringing them on” (with us old 'uns as the mentors), offering them a decent career structure and then retaining them.

I think this has Hit the Nail squarely on it's head!

The Biomed game has always been based on the " Dead man's Shoes" principle.

However you can't run a department of too many cheifs and not enough indians, so Departments stagnate, and the peolpe wait, move on, or away.

Lets face it guys this job pays more than most, and is a damn sight better than uneployment.
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: The Future of EBME - 27/02/05 6:51 PM
You started off quite well there, Mark. But the rest was not quite the way I should have liked to put it!

But, don’t forget “Risk-Centred Maintenance”! Did you perhaps miss

https://www.ebme.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/9/197.html
smile
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.