EBME Forums
Posted By: Santa Claus Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 3:17 PM
Hi Everybody!

I Don't know if there was a topic like this but...

What was the weirdiest call you ever had???

For Example: Once upon a time... A nurse called me about a trouble with her telemetry system....She tells me that she tried to put the batteries in all different way but there in no communication with the central!!!... rolleyes
smilewink Knowing that this system work with only one 9V battery... I didn't know why she had said "batteries" so expected someting "wierd"...opening the battery cover to found that she had put in 2 AAA instead the 9V! tut

If you have stories like that.... why not to shear them with us?

Guy
Posted By: Topper Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 3:59 PM
A nurse recently said the following to me about a bed mains plug:
"they're not very watertight are they" i could tell she meant it.
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 4:13 PM
LOLLLL!!!

Guy!
Posted By: Lee S Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 4:44 PM
How about a Junior Doctor who could not understand why she didn't get any ECG traces on a MAC 6 - the trunk lead was not connected to the patient block.

Lee
Posted By: Lee S Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 4:49 PM
Another one that was even worse was the nurse that couldn't understand why the low suction pump would not go above zero - the dial had gone all the way around and was hitting the back of the stop.

Funnily enough the patient later remarked to the engineer that the suction wasn't as painful since it had been adjusted.

Lee
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 5:43 PM
Happened once...a power bar plug to a power bar, plug to a power bar to the first none on the wall... that one gave me a 4 hours recall on a week-end for 30 sec work!
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 11/11/08 5:47 PM
or on a NIBP Critikon... the nurse plug all the extension tubing back to back with a neonat cuff brace and didn't know why it was not able to take a press on the baby... there was 35 foots of tubing at all on a cuff that I used to check around my finger at those time!!!
Posted By: Kawasaki Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 7:28 AM
Had a nurse who wanted training on a simple humidification set up, but then asked half way through why it was not possible to get the oxygen concentration down below 21%!!!!!!
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 7:44 AM
We had an anesthetist here who could! He's gone now!

Eddie
Posted By: Huw Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 8:01 AM
Ed, when I worked in the 'Magic Kingdom' I once had a technician who asked me if fuses were polarised...

He once wrote on a jobsheet "fuse not completely blown". I believe he (unlike your anaesthetist) is still there.
Posted By: RoJo Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 8:31 AM
A nurse called down to the workshop to say that her scales were weighing light.
The technician said "My! They're sensitive" and put the phone down.
I think it was lost on her.

I was called to have a look at a patient monitor as they could not get an ECG trace. When I got to the ward I was asked to look at the ECG machine as well as that too was faulty and they could not check the patient with that either.
I looked at the patient and and the cause of the lack of ECG was obvious.
I thought my job was equipment and the nurses job was patients not the other way round.
It is all too easy to blame equipment.

On the same ward I was asked to look at a pulse oximeter as it was giving low sats readings. I put it on my finger and the nurses and it was fine both times. I looked at the patient who had blue lips and suggested that she gave the patient some oxygen. His sats imediately climbed up. She was then satisfied the pulse-oximeter was working correctly so took the oxygen mask off the patient and carried on measuring his low sats knowing that the readings were correct.

Robert
An ex nurse from the days before much equipment so was taught to look at the patient.
Who says technology is an advancement and helpful?
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 8:46 AM

Thanks for that, Robert. I have quite a few stories in the same vein myself. But I have restrained myself as I don't regard them as "weird" ... no, there is another word that comes to mind! frown

Originally Posted By: RoJo
Who says technology is an advancement and helpful?

But I take your point there, Mate. "Monkey see, monkey do" tends to promote and encourage monkey behaviour, in my experience.
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 8:50 AM
Rojo, that post has cheered me goodo! too funny lol!

Eddie
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 8:56 AM

No Eddie, "funny" wasn't the word I had in mind, Mate. frown
Posted By: Topper Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 9:27 AM
Monday just gone.
HP ECG Pagewriter, appears to be working okay but the following "error" message is displayed:
Report Format Leads
(these are seperate softkey options on the display)
Topper
Posted By: BK Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 10:44 AM
Nurse asked me to explain why a connector on piece of kit was called "female" connector!!
Posted By: RoJo Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 11:07 AM
Quote:
Nurse asked me to explain why a connector on piece of kit was called "female" connector!!

Actions speak louder than words. shocked blush
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 11:19 AM
Please attend our endoscopy room, the picture is upside down! (Not just you Huw!)

Eddie
Posted By: Huw Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Please attend our endoscopy room, the picture is upside down! (Not just you Huw!)

Eddie

laugh - I refrained from telling that one as I've said it so many times... still brings a tear to my eye tho' heh heh wink
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 11:45 AM
On a sombre side though I did catch a local dealer/tech firing up/testing a C-Arm in the main corridor!

Eddie
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:04 PM

... your point being? smile
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:18 PM
Do I really have to answer that one?

Eddie
here

http://publicsafety.tufts.edu/ehs/downloads/PPC-armSafety[CompatibilityMode].pdf
Posted By: KM Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:30 PM
One had a perfusionist ring to say he thought we had mixed the medical air wrong?
Apparently he thought we sat like some sort of mad profs mixing chemicals in large vats to get the desired air.
He was a bit miffed when I explained about compressors etc.
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:45 PM
Karl; 4 parts Nitrogen, 1 Part Oxygen, a dead spider and one of Galvo's beatle shoes! Thats what Ray told me???

Eddie
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:50 PM

(my point being) ... how come your people didn't provide the guy with a (safe) place to work?

I speak from experience here, believe me! smile
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 12:56 PM
Didn't even know he was in the building Geoff??? Things have changed a bit now though!

I will spare you the story of the LINAC though mate!

Eddie
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I will spare you the story of the LINAC though mate!

Don't tell me some goon was trying to drag that out into the corridor as well! smile
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:30 PM
Lol !
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:37 PM
Hey! There are some really good one! grin

And I Agree Geoff.. some are "patetics" But that was not my purpose to post them...

Better laught sometime than to cry!

I have mine too; a cardiologis unable to use a defibrillator, nurses ...well you can figure!!!! technicians screaming:"Who touched me buttoms?"... and those that I asked to follow the ac cable...laying unpluged!...

But I never thought to check a fuse polarity! Lolll!

Guy
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:42 PM
http://www.iespell.com/ lol

Eddie
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:44 PM

Steady on, Eddie ... Guy is (I believe) a French speaker! smile
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 1:57 PM
Sorry for my poor spelling...and yes I'm much better in french and inuktiut!

Guy
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 2:11 PM
Just assisting Guy! I use it all the time!

Ed
Posted By: Santa Claus Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 2:21 PM
Thank You guys! I'll try it...
And for my defence...english is my ....5 one after: french, innuktituk, spanish, joual (french slang)...

so if you know a good english teacher... single, between 32-41, blond, brunette, smart, good looking, good cooking, unafraid for cleaning a house... my phone number is avalable! :))

Guy
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 2:29 PM

Don't know anyone like that, I'm afraid. Myself, I'm always on the lookout for a rich widow, with own well-kept house (already paid for, of course), someone undemanding who likes "mothering", good home cooking etc. Contact via PM or email! Normal conditions apply. E&OE. smile
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 2:55 PM
Dear me! welcome to Huws dating agency!
Posted By: Huw Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 3:03 PM
Introductions free!
(Divorce litigation £250/hour) laugh
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 3:10 PM

Dating? Divorce? Don't be silly. I'm more into Service Contracts! smile

PS: how's that for weird?
Posted By: Dicky Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 3:27 PM
Standard Contract Cleans house

Silver Cleans house, cooks meals

Gold As above plus irons clothes

Platinum As above plus !!!!!
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 3:45 PM

Assuming that "cleans house" also includes "washes clothes", do you have any pricing available, Dicky? Also, are there any financial penalty clauses for non-performance? And, lastly, in case of breach, where do we seek arbitration? smile
Posted By: Dicky Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 4:01 PM
Sorry Geoff I wasn't offering, just suggesting some options when you come to write your contracts for the lucky applicants!
Posted By: seppy Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 4:52 PM
Our Workshop looks out onto a courtyard with buildings on all four sides. One morning we noticed a pair of mallards in the courtyard. Nurse asks " eeh, how did they get in there?" !
Posted By: John Sandham Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 5:09 PM
I had a dental hygeinist phone in a fault on a Cavitron descaler. I took the call and knew the particular member of staff to be a bit absent minded. Iasked "Is it plugged in and switched on?" she went away ... checked ... came back on the phone and said yes, but its still not working.

So, i went over, checked it, it was switched on at the unit, and it was plugged in, but she had not switched on the power at the 13A socket. crazy I left her red faced. blush
Posted By: Lee S Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 5:33 PM
We have three courtyards inside our new build and to save damage to the walls from ladders there is a stainless steel tube right the way around each of them just under the roof line. This was an ideal perch for pigeons which left huge deposits on the windows below.

To stop this a net was suspended over each courtyard.

Unfortunately the people putting the net up trapped 3 pigeons inside, which had to be shot.

Lee
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/11/08 5:40 PM

At the GRH you can keep an eye on the Peregrines via the webcam! smile

PS: perhaps one of our friends there could give us the link, so we can all enjoy the spectacle of them swooping down at 180 mph! But it won't be quite like this though!
Posted By: Hulk Re: Wierdiest Call! - 13/11/08 8:46 AM
Too many to mention

Always like the “The monitor wont switch on”

Go up there to find no mains lead attached

Also was told of a nurse wondering why a mouse wouldn’t work.. Problem is she was waving the thing in the air trying to get it to work.. hmmz
Posted By: Kawasaki Re: Wierdiest Call! - 13/11/08 8:53 AM
I had a dialysis assistant, who was slightly scatty, ring up one morning to say that machine No. 5 was not working. Eventually I ascertained that it wasn't plugged into the 30A outlet. She phoned back 2 minutes late to say that it was continually alarming. Again, after loads of questions she turned the water on.
She finally rang again after a further 15 minutes to say that machine No.5 had now flooded the whole of the unit due to the waste not being connected!!! She was directed to the mop and bucket unit.
Posted By: Paul Latham Re: Wierdiest Call! - 13/11/08 12:53 PM
Isn't all the above "the norm"?

Personally if I was given an accurate description of the fault (i.e. no cryptic babble to decipher) it would throw me completely. grin
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 13/11/08 5:02 PM

Yes, Paul, I would agree that it is (as you say) "the norm". Not only that, but it's part of the reason that biomed services always need to be available on site (that is, rather than remotely). "Hand-holding" has always been (and probably will always remain) part of the job. smile
Posted By: PaulKWJ Re: Wierdiest Call! - 14/11/08 7:38 AM
Being told "On the CTG monitor, its printer has run out of ink". Even though the staff are told ever time that it doesnt have ink!! D'OH!!
Posted By: J Darby Re: Wierdiest Call! - 05/12/08 3:13 AM
Following an earthquake in Leeds in Feb a most annoyed ward sister called the FM Help Desk (PFI Hospital) to complain that the noise and rattle of the building had disturbed her patients and she wanted to know what they were going to do about it

The manager apologised to her and told her that he would immediately send 2 engineers down to check the Tectonic Plates

Her reply: "Well make sure they fix whatever is wrong I don't want my patients sleep disturbed again!" - go figure
Posted By: Naitch Re: Wierdiest Call! - 08/12/08 12:21 PM
Years ago, I had a Physio Control NIBP Monitor to fix. The reported fault was "It makes all the right sounds, but the cuff doesn't blow up". Turned out that the hose to the cuff was plugged AROUND the rear panel earth stud. My supervisor nearly wet himself when he saw what they'd done, and the senior Medical Physicist took a picture of it. Since then, the latter regularly takes pictures of howlers like this"
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Wierdiest Call! - 08/12/08 12:30 PM

Better ask him to post his collection in the Gallery for us all to admire! smile
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 08/12/08 1:40 PM
Hey Naitch, I have a picture of me with Robert Fripp somewhere! Met him in London many years ago at a "Guitar Craft" function! Hellova nice guy! I even have one of my guitars in New Standard Tuning!

Eddie
Posted By: Eddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 08/12/08 2:13 PM
Hey Nick, great Bio on your site mate! Well written!

Eddie
Posted By: Steveddie Re: Wierdiest Call! - 12/12/08 7:49 PM
On call, I received a phone call that said "Someone has died, do I want to dispose of their clothes?"

Errrm..
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.