EBME Forums

Alternative to Vapotherm

Posted By: Lee S

Alternative to Vapotherm - 01/03/17 11:06 AM

Hello

We have been having a lot of issues with Vapotherms (heated and humidified high flow therapy nasal cannula system) recently; has anyone got an alternative they can recommend?

Lee
Posted By: Geoff Hannis

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 01/03/17 11:55 AM

Can't help you there, Lee ... but would be interested to learn what sort of problems you're encountering. smile

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 01/03/17 12:08 PM

PMed you Geoff.

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 01/03/17 1:08 PM

Yes; thanks for that. smile

It seems to me that only Vapotherm provides that particular technique - which is, of course, but one of many in the respiratory therapy armoury these days.

I'm wondering about the level of tech support the company provides, though. Do you get a decent manual, for instance? think
Posted By: Rob1234

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 01/03/17 1:27 PM

F&P Airvo
Posted By: Neoteny

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 02/03/17 8:58 AM

We have had issues with this product ever since we have had them - they require going away yearly for Mass Flow sensor replacement - we get them down monthly with issues.
Posted By: Steveddie

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 07/03/17 4:12 PM

We have a number of vapotherms under contract with solus for their service. Despite some early issues we have found, certainly in the last year, year and a half that they have been quite robust. I know our users have certainly had their complaints over the time we have had them but mostly I feel that has proven to be training issues.
Posted By: DaveC in Oz

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 07/03/17 10:01 PM

We use the Airvo units here and they are functionally good. We have had a few issues with the screens failing but other than that they seem ok.
Posted By: Moira

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 11/04/17 9:32 AM

We use Vapotherms a lot. Not many problems now; the ones we had initially, we got to know cures for, eg:

1. Check the circuit is properly pushed together and properly pushed into the device,
2. If strange temp faults occur, take the circuit out, give it a shake and put it back - may be an air bubble over the temp sensor, and
3. They don't like being stopped and restarted. If the patient comes off for a while, turn the Vapotherm down not off.

I hope this helps!

Moira

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 12/04/17 7:13 AM

Thanks Moria

Isn't it strange that most of the problems reported do not reoccur in the workshop and that the number of reported issues has reduced each time the nursing staff that are trained to use the equipment recieve more training.

Lee
Posted By: Moira

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 12/04/17 11:40 AM

Don't knock it, Lee, it keeps us all in work! laugh

Moira

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 13/04/17 9:42 AM

Yes, but as i am increasingly pointing out we have over a thousand nurses and another thousand clinical staff (in various forms) breaking equipment and four of us trying to fix it.

I could do with out, all of the "no fault found" jobs on top.

Lee

Re: Alternative to Vapotherm - 13/04/17 10:09 AM

... not to mention the "blaming the kit" jobs. frown

1) I didn't design it (I would have done a better job).
2) I didn't make it (China's a long way away).
3) I didn't buy it (and even advised against doing so).
4) My job is to support, and fix, it (as best I can).
© 2019 EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.