Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero

Meanwhile ... Windows 95 is twenty years old!*

Here's another video. smile

Anyone interested in Windows history and operating systems in general might like to take a glance at this webpage.

* I remember all the fuss quite well (I was in Al-Khobar back in those happier days)!

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero

Meanwhile, bearing in mind what's going on in the World As We Know (knew?) It* at the present time, I was intrigued by a job advert I saw for a "Migration Engineer"; especially as the location was given as:- Kent.

I generally just delete job advert emails straight away these days, but thought I had better check that one out! Needless to say, it was nothing to do with what I had imagined. whistle

But it did contain this:-

Quote:

The project includes an upgrade of 60 PC's from Windows XP to Windows 7 / 8.1 with associated upgrades to instrument software and hardware.

Why not Win 10, I wonder? think

* That is, the one presented to us by the MSM.

Sage
Sage
I had this for about 2 days - and reverted back to 8.1

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero

I have recently "enjoyed" wasting a few hours nursing a Win 10 PC back to normality - or is that an oxymoron? I'm still not really sure what caused it to become so unco-operative, but it may have been (probably was) following yet another "update". I won't bore folk with the sorry details, but it even felt disinclined to access the internet. Anyway, it's back on line now - and I'm using it to make this post. smile

Anyhow, I found this little program useful:- ShutUp10 - it gives you a quick overview of various settings without having to wade through the Win 10 Settings menus. The program does not "install", and its .exe and .ini files can be run from anywhere on the machine; or if you want, deleted.

In passing, I should mention that I have often found the following programs very handy (as they proved to be yet again during the exercise in question):-

1) AdwCleaner
2) CCleaner

I should also give an "honourable mention" to IOBit software. Over the years I have used their stuff extensively on many and various machines:-

1) Advanced System Care
2) Driver Booster
3) Malware Fighter
4) Smart Defrag
5) Uninstaller

All of the above are available for free download on-line (although versions with enhanced facilities are also available for small amounts).

Another "tool" that I have used daily for years (and must have mentioned before) is:- Total Commander. Highly recommended.

Finally (whilst I'm at it), another of favourites when cleaning up cluttered systems is:- Autoruns. Invaluable! smile

Meanwhile ... has anyone else tried the Brave browser? I'm using it (for the first time) right now. It seems OK - quick, spell-checker, built-in ad blocker, etc. I'm guessing it will provide some (probably much needed) competition for Firefox.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (daisizhou, Stargolf, Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020