EBME Forums
Posted By: kristy07 Moving to New Zealand? - 14/06/22 9:48 AM
Just want to survey if any Biomeds out there interested to move to downunder?
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 16/06/22 9:08 AM
If only we were a bit younger eh Geoff !!!

If I could convince my Italian wife to leave Italy I'd be on the next flight, I'm sure you will be inundated with offers.
Posted By: Dustcap Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 16/06/22 11:59 AM
Tempted to go Australia and if anyone has any suggestions or point me in some directions i would be grateful. But curious about NZ, what are the benefits Kristy07?
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 16/06/22 12:49 PM
@Malcolm:- "a bit younger"? Thirty years would be about right.

As an aside, I once applied for a position with F&P (must have been at least forty years ago now) ... they replied suggesting I was "over qualified" (can you imagine?); I guess they were just being kind. For a couple of years previously I used to get a weekly newspaper air-mailed out from Dunedin (I think it was) as "the plan" was to head out there when I left the mob. It never happened, of course ... and more's the pity.

Mind you, Malcolm, the Kiwis have not always been too keen on England (see Sling Camp at Bulford, 15 March 1919).

@Dustcap:- "benefits"? If you have to ask, then you can't be serious!

However, TBH the "politics" of NZ are not what they once were.

For myself, I would be happy to head out almost anywhere in the world, just as long as it was for a permanent position (meaning that I did not have to return to the UK).
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 17/06/22 9:11 AM
Geoff, my wife is very broad minded, as most Italians are, you can come and live with me if you like !!!
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 17/06/22 4:54 PM
@Malcolm:- that's very "British" of you, Mate.

I'm sure it's not the case for you, but the Italians I have worked with (being, in the main, of the "rough and ready" - contractors - type) were not so much broad-minded as loud, boisterous and argumentative. Not really "the thing" for us English Gentlefolk. I seem to recall lots of waving about of arms (as well as hot milk and toast at breakfast ... then pasta at every other opportunity).

Meanwhile, in the spirit of this thread, I have just enjoyed a couple of Kiwi fruit (aka Chinese gooseberry) - which is one of my favourites (and high in vitamin C). Unfortunately, coming from Spain, they weren't "originals".
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 17/06/22 7:49 PM
By chance, a Kiwi bloke called Harrison Christian was just on the radio. He is a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian (about whom the jury is still out!) and has written a book about HMS Bounty (1789).

This led me to look up Norfolk Island; that looks pretty "off grid" - I wonder if they need any (old) biomeds there?

BTW, I reckon that Lieutenant (later Vice-Admiral) William Bligh's epic 41-day voyage with 18 loyal men in a 23-foot open boat from (near) Tofua to Kupang on Timor (passing through the Torres Strait along the way) to be one of the greatest feats of navigation under "arduous conditions" in history. Equipped with just a quadrant, a pocket watch, sextant and a compass, apparently (but no charts).

Such leadership (Shackleton - Elephant Island - 127 years later is another example)!

PS: for those interested in history, especially in regard of "what happened to the mutineers" ... look up HMS Pandora (1779) and "Pandora's Box"!
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 20/06/22 8:11 AM
Things are looking up Geoff, if you take up my offer you can awake at "sparrow fart" and go go and pick fresh Kiwi's from one of our 5 plants...(plus a male that really doesn't do much apart from keep the females company)
Posted By: kristy07 Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 27/07/22 10:21 AM
sorry its should be "Just want to survey if any Biomeds out there interested to move to New Zealand - Aotearoa?
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 27/07/22 5:03 PM
A beautiful "outdoors" country ... slightly bigger than Great Britain, but with fewer people than Yorkshire; what's not to like?

Are you hiring, then?
Posted By: kristy07 Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 28/07/22 8:22 AM
there so many things to like here in new zealand smile

yes we are looking for biomed in windy wellington.

our pool of talents getting smaller and smaller as people moving out of nz..
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 28/07/22 10:37 AM
If only I could convince my wife !!!!! (Geoff and myself could split a job in two....)

Not meaning to be facetious, people are leaving NZ to go where, Bali perhaps.....
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 28/07/22 1:44 PM
... Acton, Hammersmith ... ?
Posted By: kristy07 Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 29/07/22 8:41 AM
well mostly to aussie or just anywhere, younger people/family wanting to get out from the country..
blame it on covid lockdown and restriction and inflation etc

we are looking to sponsorship option..
Posted By: Philip Page Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 05/08/22 1:36 AM
Hi All

Yup there's a shortage of Biomed's in NZ.

Any one looking to move to NZ and is a Biomed - then you probably could get a position in any on the 'major' towns (cities) in NZ.

Phil in NZ
Posted By: John Sandham Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 05/08/22 1:30 PM
Hmmm... food for thought, but I think I am a bit 'long in the tooth' ;-)
Posted By: Philip Page Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 08/08/22 12:33 AM
Hi

John - How about a few months as a "busmans holiday"

Phil
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 08/08/22 4:26 PM
Is there an "agency technician" scene in New Zealand, then?

What's the age limit?

What's the score re: visas?

(Asking for a friend)
Posted By: Philip Page Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 08/08/22 9:12 PM
Hi

Well the "agency scene" does not exist yet..

And, I have no idea about Visa's.

Ill have to find out and get back.

But there is a dire need in NZ for Biomeds - especially Biomeds with experience
who could come over and train etc.

Like I said above - Ill get back to you.

Phil;
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 09/08/22 6:33 PM
No "agency scene"? Could be a business opportunity for somebody, then (although the market may be a bit small).

How about "freelancers" ... are they tolerated?

"Coming over to train" ... could be short-term (presumably); "locums", then. Greybeard biomeds from Oz taking a break, perhaps.

How is it in NZ ... are in-house biomeds directly employed by the government hospitals (Health Boards, whatever)? Who looks after the small government hospitals and clinics?

Is much use made of service contractors?

Are there many private hospitals (and clinics)? Do they have their own biomeds?
Posted By: kristy07 Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 10/08/22 2:22 AM
Is there an "agency technician" scene in New Zealand, then?
- not sure what this is - is it like a recruitment agency? our company engaged with quite a few, but they so far can't find any skilled experienced biomed in NZ

What's the age limit? - i'm not sure as well. but here is the link to work visa
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new...about-visa/accredited-employer-work-visa

What's the score re: visas?

(Asking for a friend)

and i think there's a condition there for visa to have a minimum 30 hours work a week.

How is it in NZ ... are in-house biomeds directly employed by the government hospitals (Health Boards, whatever)? Who looks after the small government hospitals and clinics?
almost all Gov Hosp in nz employed their own biomed and they look after the satelite sites clinics rest home etc

Is much use made of service contractors?
yes a lot in place for both gov and private - mostly theater related device stryker, erbe, ge etc

Are there many private hospitals (and clinics)? Do they have their own biomeds?
yes there's a lot private hospital - southern cross, evolution group etc, and they usee service contract for their biomedical services and we are one of them. And this pandermic have accelerated the growth of these hospitals and clinics that we need more more biomeds. Issues is we have no one in the country..
Posted By: Geoff Hannis Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 10/08/22 4:28 PM
Interesting. Thanks for that.

Stand by to be inundated with enquiries!

Yes, the "agency scene". I guess we could call them recruitment agencies, but in the UK there used to be a few agents through which freelance biomeds could pick up "bookings" at hospitals ... usually just a few months at a go, sometimes a bit longer (but rarely much more than six months). It was a way of life (aka earning a living) for some blokes ... roaming around from place to place.
Posted By: iozzie Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 25/05/23 10:12 AM
Try the Medical Room
Posted By: kristy07 Re: Moving to New Zealand? - 29/06/23 6:33 AM
yes our company looking to engage their training service. Now i found out that they do recruitment as well.

Thanks for that!
© EBME Forums: Biomedical and Clinical Engineering Discussion Forums.