I was taught at college that you take four readings, you then disregard the first and average the next three and that was accepted as normal practice when I first started as a biomed.
I have yet to get a definitive answer to this question from several companies. I attended a service course at Datex where we were given a presentation on vital signs monitoring I asked the question and was told if you take more than one reading you will get arterial compression which will affect the reading and was told if you use the correct technique you only need to take one reading.
This makes sense to me and as this is the only answer I have recieved I use this when asked.
The problem I and I am sure lots of people involved in training users of medical devices come across is that there is an asumption that all the user needs to do is to put the machine on the patient press the appropriate button and await the results.
As for taking consecutive readings on different arms, this should not be done, this is because mucsles in the patients dominant arm will be more developed and in effect there will be greater resistance in the brachial artery in that arm.
Which arm has been used should be written on the patients notes for this reason.
I would be very interested in other peoples views, knowledge and comments on this subject as there is a lack of information and guidance available.
Steve