Hi Jo,
As you know, I missed the last forum because of sickness, but I will be at the next. I'm not sure that it is a topic for a presentation, but I would be happy to give my views on how to track equipment successfully. I am new to this site, but there seems to me to be much on it about tracking equipment. I would be happy to explain why RFID tracking is completely unneccesary in a properly managed library, and how we do this at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. As I may have told you, we manage 2500 items of equipment across 2 sites ( 6 miles apart ), and some other ancilliary sites. Equipment is interchangeable across these sites to maintain stock levels. To date, we are unable to account for only one syringe pump after four and a half years of operating, and we know that this is still in our main building. RFID tracking would come under what I would call "boys toys". Probably OK in a hospital already equipped to read it ( and if the additional equipment cost was 10p ). Not the thing of the future - just another waste of NHS money!! Having read the site for many months, it would seem to me that we appear to have solved most of the questions that are frequently asked re libraries. If anyone wishes to call me, my direct line is 029-20743226. The other point that I think needs raising at the next forum is that "library" questions that appear on this forum are often "hijacked" by clinical engineers. Library issues are more often about the user, or customer. Clinical engineering questions more often relate to engineers, as you would expect. Often the two are different
Regards,
David Learthart
University Hospital of Wales,
Cardiff