Hello, I do work for the NHS and in previous places we have introduced this via the Medical Devices Group or whatever its called, it proved to be very successful basically we stopped doing thermometers, stopped testing class 2 devices for EST and stopped trying to manage nebulisers.
It proved to be very successful and there was no issue in the clinical areas. I have to disagree with Dave in Oz as I don't see thermometers as a high risk diagnostic device, I am even at the point of not testing nerve simulators and basically anything that causes lots of running about to try and find the item. We are also looking at not doing ECG stand alone machines on PPM and making them repair only, basically when called out to look at the device we do a full check anyway less EST so what's the point of a PPM? Carry out a repair PPM only and everyone's a winner.
When companies are giving you 5 year warranty's with devices and no maintenance at all i.e. Some Ultrasound devices and CPAP machines, I think its time we really asked ourselves is there any point in testing. I am currently doing a project on modules and monitors to see if we can make these repair only. Obviously if a module like some GE ones E-CAIOV (Gas) needs filters then this will still be done but E-PRESTN or E-PSMP modules, come on, lets get real and with the times .... are we really doing PPMs just for the sake of doing them?
Kevin Stuart Finn .........