16 years ago I worked in sales, and visited every major DGH in England, Scotland and Wales. Whilst I may no longer be as well travelled, I have seen major improvements in infrastructure and technology.

It is true that the level of care we can now give our patients is significantly higher than it was 16 years ago, for example, just look at the number of CT/MRI scanners now available compared to 1990, modern drugs ,our capabilities with transplants, keyhole surgery meaning short/no stay operations, air-ambulances (yes I know the majority are funded by charitable donations), fast response paramedics etc.

But we must recognise that the NHS is now facing major new challenges - public expectations are now higher than they have ever been and with technological advances - they expect every little advance to be available to them, lifespans are increasing meaning there are more eldery requiring care (joint replacements, personal care, cancers have had time to develop), a litigatious society willing to screw you for the slightest mistake, drug resistant infections, a highly aggressive media to name but a few.

Some of the old problems are still there - high workloads, lack of end-of-life plans for routine equipment leading to frequent breakdowns, the unpleasant patient/visitor, lack of adequate space/resources.

I may not agree with some of the decisions made by senior management or politicians, but the NHS is now significantly different from when it was founded. The NHS is not perfect, and probably never will be, but that doesn't mean it is not staffed by dedicated, highly skilled individuals doing their best with limited resources.

Comeon guys and gals ... lets pull together and make this ship float - not sink!