Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10478 07/05/06 3:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 15
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 15
So what should you do if faced with this situation? I've contacted my union, and not heard a dicky bird - probably inundated with requests for help. However if faced with this, as has been hinted at, it's going to be done by mid June, so doesn't leave much time.

Any advice from someone out there would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

#10479 07/05/06 6:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Fuzzy,

The likelihood of 800 redundancies has been publicised where I work, only after a few months ago being told that our NHS trust was "on-target" financially, now to be informed we are £21,000,000 in debt, so I can appreciate your concerns. Like yourself we've been told that the process will take weeks not months.

I'm assuming you're an NHS employee that isn't employed where I work. Perhaps anyone in the situation where the deadline for redundancies is being given should start applying for any suitable vacancies in the area where they live, or even further afield, just in case there's bad news.

If I were in a similar position, applying for posts just in case the worst happens in June, I might ask my prospective employer not to contact my current employer until after interviews, etc, i.e. tick the appropriate box on the application form, just on the off-chance that this has an influence on who's considered for redundancy - if you get my drift.

Job applications for NHS vacancies that're posted tomorrow probably wouldn't be processed to the invitation for interview stage until after mid-June so I guess it's a headstart. If the threat of redundancy disappears the application(s) can always be rescinded.

If I subsequently found that redundancy were definitely on the cards and my job application were successful then I'd probably be able to make arrangements convenient to both prospective and current employer. It's likely that I'd be redundant and serving my notice when offered another post, at best, given June as a deadline.

I would also send my CV to the recruitment agencies to see if they had anything that would suit me I suppose. There do seem to be quite a few vacancies for Medical Engineering around at the moment so I wonder if jobs of this nature will be under the spotlight in this round of NHS redundancies - no doubt it won't be the last.

#10480 08/05/06 12:47 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 137
Expert
Offline
Expert
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 137
I would have also expected that if wards are closed then a reduction of ward support services would be a natural progression. This would lead to reduced EME services/staff.

#10481 08/05/06 11:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 266
Likes: 5
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 266
Likes: 5
I would say that most EBME departments are already under-resourced, reduction is not an option for our hard working comrades.

The equipment will not be made redundant and most redesigns will not affect the equipment bases largely enough at any sites to warrant loss of major services.

In anything, the CEO will be streamlining here and there, and asking the ward managers to manage their rotas, overtime, bank staff more effectively. In some cases we may see closure of one ward to merge with another.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9,603 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,281
Posts74,584
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5