Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 768
Philosopher
Offline
Philosopher
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 768
Try putting an expenses claim in for that !!!?


Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
There is a way to produce a realistic and accurate "phantom" but the delivery time is long - about 9 months. laugh
Robert


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 457
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 457
Spot on RoJo, believe it or not I was once offered one of those " phantoms " by a Nursing Sister in Jordan !!! I,ll get you a baby she said, NO NO NO says I horrified, as you like she said. Would you like Coffee and Dates ??? OK says I. ha ha wink wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
There is a way to produce a realistic and accurate "phantom" but the delivery time is long - about 9 months.
Wouldn't like having temp probes inserted either I reckon. Plus I prefer the lamb, with a bit of mint sauce on the side, of course.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 327
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 327
Dear Sue Peirce
There are some clinical materials available in Drager medical website similar to what you are looking for and more .please explore the clinical library.
Best of luck
Regards
Sajeev

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 327
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 327

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 213
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 213
I thought the closer test subject to a human would be a dead piglet.

I think make a model baby with loads of temperature probes in will still not give you good results. Human have to many variables.

Temperature absorbtion depends on so many things.

Baby skin colour is just so different:

Blue = Cold or Hypoxia
Red = Hot or Carbon-Monoxide Poisoning
Yellow = Jaundice.
Rainbow = Race of the baby.

Size and Baby Surface Area:

Larger the BSA more heat that can be absorbed.
Larger the baby, Bigger the heat sink.
Larger the BSA the more heat that can be given off.
Number of probes stuck to the baby. Most ECG dots, SPO2 and Temperature Probe are white and normal cover a large area of the target. White reflects more heat away. Probes also take some of the heat away.

Blood circulation helps move the heat to different parts of the body. This helps regulation of body core temperature.

Climate of the room will change how well the heat is transmitted to the target.

Distance from the target should not be a problem and will remain constant. Most manufactures recommend that the distance between top of the baby and the heater should be 20 inch's apart.

I think model baby would very expensive and not have a very big market to sell too. Stick to a litre bag of saline with the temperature probe stuck to it, a lot cheaper.

I am not sure of the regulation of test equipment needed, but maybe there can be a way to change the colour of the black body thermometer. You could find a boffins some ware that could invent a baby colour reader that see what colour the target is, then change the frequency off the IR device to match that of the baby.

A.M smile

P.S: RoJo method is a lot more fun. Can you 18 year service contract with that.


Barry

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A.M.

Perhaps thermography might be a useful non-contact method to "image" the effectiveness of maintaining neonates' temperature using a radiant warmer.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 213
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 213
I think Thermography is the way forward. No contact to the patient.

Maybe we fit thermography scanner in ward reception area to help stop sick relatives visiting the evan sicker patient. They used thermograhy scanner at airports during the SARS crisis a few years ago.

Check out the link about medical thermography on EBME front page:

https://www.ebme.co.uk/arts/thermog/index.htm

A.M


Barry

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 32
Likes: 2
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 32
Likes: 2
Sangeev

Sorry, I looked at the bit of the website that you mentioned but couldn't see anything about infrared warming therapy.

Sue

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 7,983 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5