Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Geoff,
You now must have understood the working condition in our country by now by reading the articles.You can just imagine the working conditions and what we need to do just inorder to fulfill the basic requirements in a hospital.
Thanks for the link.

Super Hero
Super Hero
I expect I understand more than you imagine, Sudhir. I really included the link for the benefit of others who may not have yet ventured to work overseas. There are many such links. And that really is my point; difficult as things may appear, at least you have access to this forum, and indeed the rest of the internet. That’s a big plus and a giant’s step forward, Mate!

Like many other greybearded biomeds, I can remember places in certain parts of the world without even a telephone. We would just do our best (from “first principles”), often just making a list of spares needed, in the hope that these could be sourced (and purchased) and fitted by the next visiting technician. Sadly, these were often not purchased, and the next poor guy went through it all again, with disappointment all round, needless to say.

For at least the last thirty years, there have been countless papers written by (for example) the WHO and others about the (lack of) repair and maintenance of medical equipment in the “developing world” (…not a term that I like to use, by the way – I prefer the more accurate “disorganized world”). There have also been millions donated for equipment and its technical support. Not to mention countless pro bono visits by well-meaning medics, nurses and techs. So why are we still in such dire straits (…I’ll leave that one unanswered, but I expect that most of us could come up with a couple of good reasons)?

My “solution” to this problem is this:- there needs to be a properly funded international technical services organization. Not another charity, but a cost-effective company contracted to the ministry of health (or whatever), and thereby contractually committed to providing the service required. It’s the only way, otherwise you just get a never-ended procession of different faces (visiting techs) and a ever-growing pile of unservicable equipment.

There still are a few of us about who would be willing to sally forth to carry out repair programmes in distant parts. A great Englishman once famously said “give us the tools, and we will finish the job”. Well, we’ve got the tools, but what we need is the funding. And that’s my challenge to the big players (ie, manufacturers, and others with the deep pockets that we don't have) … smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 27/05/07 12:10 PM. Reason: It needed editing.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Geoff,
i totally agree with you.Ya,we are fortunate enough that we have access to internet and telephone calls but that is mainly in the city. As you said, there are lots of places not accessible by roads or communication and i have to point out that Nepal is also among them. Though there are lots of NGO's(more than you can imagine)helping in the health sector but i believe that they are more money minded then service minded.
I work with goverment and private hospitals mate but conditions are just too pathetic in goverment. Ill management, lack of proper maintenance departement and human resource contribute to lack of proper services.
The administrative authorities here benefit buying new medical equipments rather than maintaining the old ones.I hope you understand what i mean. Corruption, lack of proper knowledge of management all contributing.
However, despite all these, we are trying our best to serve the hospitals and will continue to do.
I am still waiting for help for my AIKA vaporise compatibilitity!!!

Super Hero
Super Hero
Sounds like “business as usual”, Sudhir. Regrettably, I can’t see things changing that soon. I sometimes wonder if all those NGO's actually help the situation in the long term. If they didn’t do those good deeds (for free) then the government would have to get its own act together, wouldn’t it? It’s the same story in many parts of the world. Hang-in there, Mate, and as Theodore Roosevelt once said, "do what you can, with what you have, where you are"! smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 28/05/07 8:35 AM. Reason: Tweaking.

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Geoff,
Thanks for the encouragement !!!

Super Hero
Super Hero
Any news on this project yet, then, Sudhir? smile

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Dear Geoff,
I am sorry to say no progress has been made on this regard.I tried links and enquired about the compatibility but no luck. Anyway hope to receive information so that it would be beneficial.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ronan), 425 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
diodoled, Al BMET, Eng_VPG, Graham Oliver, Jawad
10,188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,069
Posts73,773
Members10,188
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020