Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
I dont know if any of you guys remember me. I was one in the team of 4 from Baxter who did the upgrades to Colleague 3s at various hospitals in South England from Sep to Nov 08.

I hope the pumps are doing well and dont cause any problems.

regards.

Last edited by chik; 08/04/09 5:50 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

What's up, Matey ... looking for some more work? smile


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 429
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 429
Hi Chik,

I was wondering why over the years Baxter has been doing upgrade after upgrade? I personally feel the design is fraud with too many problems and did not stop after each upgrade.
When are the newer model coming on to the market and then we will say bye bye to the older models. Are you able comment on this?

Thanks


Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

I believe you may have meant fraught there, Roger (but, there again, perhaps not)!

Surely the real question should be:- why did hospitals continue to be loyal to (that is, continue to purchase) a product that has always clearly been, shall we say, a "work in progress"? smile


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 429
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 429
Yes it is fraught and not fraud.

Honestly, I have been trying to move the proposal of not sticking to "standardised" model and instead looking at other options which we are doing it now. The disadvantage of having too many units around is another hurdle to clear. This comes with time and cost implication.


Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Cmon guys! No design is perfect and nothing last forever. Important thing is they can do the job well within specs and the nurses like them. Yes, there is room for improvement using latest materials science and techniques as soon as they are perfected. Work in progress.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

You're talking nonsense, Mate. There are quite a few examples of "perfect" infusion pump designs about (in my opinion, the Danby - bought out I believe by Baxter - was one of them, in its day).

"Nothing lasts forever". The Colleague hasn't even passed first base yet!

When an infusion pump is released for sale into hospitals, how come it's still a "work in progress"? Is that what the hospital is paying for ... a series of experiments carrying on over several years?

Originally Posted By: chik
Important thing is they can do the job well within specs and the nurses like them.

Says who? smile


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
Huw Offline
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
The Danby was a good pump but not perfect.

It's been years since I worked on one. However, as I remember the work I did as being a 'mod', it couldn't have been perfect, could it?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

We've been through all this before:- "There's no such thing as the perfect design" etc.

To which I would counter:- "If you're not seeking perfection, why keep experimenting?"

So, if that job you did on the Danby was indeed a mod, then we can only assume that this was where Baxter got the idea (ie, when then took over Danby) and then continued to follow what became an established pattern of (shall we say) "evolving" their pumps as they went along. And, of course (and this surely must be the main point), at great inconvenience to hospitals (aka customers) that bought them.

When it comes to medical devices like infusion pumps, I would have thought it best to get the thing properly designed in the first place (even if that takes, like computer software, a couple of years to accomplish), undertake some trials at co-operating hospitals, and then (if it's any good) release it for general sale to unsuspecting hospitals!

Mk II upgrades, and improvements made in the light of actual use are to be expected ... but that's not really what we're talking about in the case of the Colleague, is it?

What's the point of introducing any new item of medical equipment that isn't a clear improvement on what went before, in terms of either clinical performance or useful technical enhancements (or better still, both)? And what's more ... what's the point of buying it? smile

PS: Danby was a small company. And notice I said "perfect" (that is, quotation marks were used). Notice also that I said in its day (and that would be something like 17 years ago now). There have been, over the years, a number of "perfect" infusion pumps. But sadly (and in my opinion), the Colleague can hardly be counted amongst them.


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 745
Philosopher
Offline
Philosopher
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 745
Why the heck did Baxter move from the 6200 pumps? These were units that the nurses liked, were easy to use and they were reliable.

Was it that they were too reliable, and Baxter was not making money on them any more?

The following 6201 which required the giving set to be pushed in to the air detector with a cotton bud was bad enough but in my opinion the Colleague pump has been a disaster.

Lee


Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8,383 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5