Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Super Hero
Super Hero

The GMDM versus UMDNS battle will, no doubt, be decided by politics, rather than value, quality or any other useful criteria.

I would go to GMDN myself, if only because I prefer the descriptions they use, and also the fact that is a super-set, rather than a sub-set of the ECRI codes (and other code bases).

However, my beef with all these code systems is the cost. And that's why I applaud the Indian website you mention. Let's have it all open source, and in the Public Domain!

Did you have an involvement with that one, by the way, Andrew? smile

Perhaps (and as I may have mentioned before) I had better make it clear that I am a great admirer of ECRI (and, indeed, Dr. Joel himself), and all that it has achieved. But we need to be clear that it is an American organisation, and therefore its systems and protocols are not always readily "plugged in" to the rest of the world. And also, despite being "not for profit", money is in fact involved (the latter is also true for the [British] GMDN Agency, of course).

Meanwhile, I'll stick to my own codes. I can change them as I need, and they cost me nowt.

Lastly, for the "code connoisseur", here are a few more that I've had to grapple with over the years:-

ADB : Activity Data Base (weird name No.1) : format AAA999
Capricode : A-sheets, B-sheets, D-sheets (what fun)!
Estmancode : anyone here from Estates?
JSN : Joint Stock Number (I think) : format A9999

... plus a plethora of equipment project item numbers jealously loved and perpetuated by various Health Ministries and Contractors.

Anyone have any more?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero

More on UMDNS and payment etc. I have discovered that the basic version of UMDNS is indeed obtainable free of charge from ECRI, and is updated monthly.

To gain access to this stuff (by becoming a "licensee") you need to convince ECRI of your Good Guy status. If you are interested, give it a try at http://www.ecri.org

Other options exist (UMDNS Gold etc.), with lots of nice features, for those having the necessary funds (that is, these enhanced versions need to be paid for). smile

But perhaps I had better mention the ECRI copyright notice (to my mind yet another reason for using your own codes):-

UMDNS is owned and copyrighted by ECRI Institute. UMDNS codes and terms may be not be disseminated, reproduced, or in any way made available to any third party or be used for any commercial purpose whatsoever without the prior written consent of ECRI Institute.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Note to Huw. I am aware that some users of this forum have the ECRI UMDNS (with the associated five-digit UMDC Universal Medical Device Codes) available in various file formats.

What's the score on posting such as these to the Downloads section of the site (as .zip files, perhaps), considering the Copyright situation mentioned above? smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 655 guests, and 505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020