Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Super Hero
Super Hero

Sounds like they're hoping to make a killing flogging reagents, to me! whistle

Asteral wasn't the company I had in mind. But, fear not, I've emailed this thread to the MD of the company I was thinking of. smile

To my mind, that's one of the problems in healthcare generally, "buzzwords" ... er, buzz about - and meanings change. Or were misunderstood in the first place.

"Equipment Library" is another misnomer that has always grated, as far as I'm concerned.

But, as I say, let Leighton come back and enlighten us all.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
John, we have been doing this for years. Give a company a contract for consumables, be it pathology, dialysis or even general equipment (thermometers, SPO2 monitors etc.) and get the equipment 'free' no maintenance, no hassle and no depreciation as the equipment is regularly updated. MERRY CHRISTMAS

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, Neil. The "Abbott" model. The only thing I didn't like about it myself is that sometimes the users didn't like you (as in, me) touching that kit. But apart from that, it's a valid way of going about things, I reckon. Just imagine if the whole hospital was under some sort of similar arrangement. All the biomed would need to do is a bit of "first line", and then spend the rest of the day phoning (emailing) the vendor(s)!

Equipment leasing is yet another model that ensures that the "latest kit" is available. But again, it needs to be made sure at the onset what the *involvement of the in-house biomed department is to be.

But, somehow I doubt that this is the sort of thing Leighton is referring to. My guess is that he's thinking more about the provision of maintenance services. smile

* I have seen cases where the kit had been more or less trashed when the time came for it to be handed back, after three years or so. I have also seen what were effectively cannibalised carcasses! The hospital still pays, of course. So one wonders why they didn't look after it better!

Hero
Hero
Geoff, I have no problem with Abbott to touch their kit, in fact with most equipment as you say 'first-line' the vendors are happy as it means they don't have to come out here just to change a fuse, lamp etc or just press a button. PS Are you working today or not either way Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Neil Porter; 25/12/10 8:56 AM.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, one of my own preferred methods of supporting the Big Kit (eg, x-ray units) "out there" was to have it on contract with whomever was available, but do "first line" ourselves (myself). It was a win-win for all concerned. Instant response (by us), and far less to pay when a call-out was needed (at preferential rates).

And yes ... Christmas is just another day for me, Neil. I'm happy enough to plod on with the work (without interruption) whilst it’s nice and quiet. And I've got a fair amount to catch up on. But I have plenty of stuff like mince pies here. Plus tea, naturally. And I stay warm that way, as well! I've never really been what you might call "main stream" (as you know). smile

But as I've just texted to a few folk:- "Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to All Men (and Dogs) - not just today, but every day!" But, needless to say (and having just checked the World News), I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Hero
Hero
Yes, especially x-ray why wait 4 hours or more to change a collimator lamp, although I refuse to have the lamp changed after hours when they have other machines they can use, never class this as an emergency call out, it has been known.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Maybe we (you) need to open up a new thread, Neil ... something like "Emergency Call-Outs I Remember"!

Don't forget that (believe it or not) there are many biomeds in the UK who have never been called out. That is, some (many?) hospital biomed sheds either don't do On-Call at all, or else the burden is carried by just a couple of the blokes (volunteers?).

Hey Mate ... they don't know what they are missing, do they? It can be very "character building", as we know only too well! whistle

Meanwhile, back to this thread ... MES contractors can do On-Call as well, just as long as it's written into the Contract (and, of course, paid for). And a few years back, I did PM in the Theatres over the Christmas period at a hospital in North London, where a well-known MES company remains ensconced to this day! So someone (NHS customer) must be happy with the MES Model (although I rather doubt that much Yule-tide PM goes on there these days)! smile

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi All,
Appreciate your thoughts and comments. I'm not really coming to this with any particular viewpoint other than to say that my interest is in a whole hospital approach to an MES. This being done with the sole purpose of replacing equipment and not in what I would consider a managed approach.
Yes, I have experience of contracting out certain areas as you have outlined but the concept of whole hospital replacement without consultation on its implementation concerns me. I suppose that would be the focus of my query, the medium to long term aftermath in that regard.
Merry Christmas All!

Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Leighton
... but the concept of whole hospital replacement without consultation ...

I think you had better explain that a bit more, Leighton.

What are you saying there ... that a hospital is being re-equipped in an unmanaged way? How come?

If kit is being foisted upon you by an *unscrupulous MES contractor, then who is at fault ... the contractor or the (hospital) management? frown

* Or simply one promoting his own products.

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Well Geoff,
If senior hospital management were to go ahead with an MES without consultation with any of the key stakeholders from accross the board would you have concerns about its effects pre or post implementation?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (daisizhou, Giuseppe, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xmd, Nor, ReubenEngineer, Yousri, mosfet1996
10,183 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,068
Posts73,754
Members10,183
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020