Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Thanks.. I appreciate all of your comments guys.
Hopefully our work load will be,
5 anesthesia machine
5 vaporizers
12 defibrillators
21 patient monitors
2 ctg
35 infusion pumps
4 electrosurgical units
10 O.R. Lights
10 pulse oximeters
4 autoclave machine
234 mix with BP App, Nebulizer, ES TENS,O2gauge, suction machine, scales and other minor equipment.
Imaging equipment will be left for 3rd party.
we are an ISO certified hospital. Thanks a lot..

delfin

Super Hero
Super Hero

What about the lab(s) ... also physio, neonatal; and dental?

Do you (or will you) have a full PM programme, Delfin? think

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Thanks to all of you,
I am the only one in charge of all biomedical equipment under maintenance dept., i'm working both on technical and management in biomedical section, I also have PM program for all of our functioning machine, and I divided in 3rd party and inhouse,..
For this year I decided to proposed a test tool and manpower to accommodate all of PM and CM of our hospital. and the only thing I am confused on manpower to adjust our Investment compare in Hiring 3rd party. If its possible the machine left for 3rd party is our Imaging. By the way were ISO certified, I hope to here another comment from you. Thanks to ebme

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
In man hours I think were going to adjust the PM frequency in a minimum required depending on the equipment.

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
In our lab I only have Cenrifuge and thermometers there most of the equipments thre are tie-up for other supliers.

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
we don't have dental here, only for private clinics and not own by the hospital. I have also 3 In incubators, radiant warmer and photo therapy units.

Super Hero
Super Hero

When (or if) you get the time, I suspect you need to carry out an accurate survey of all the equipment in your hospital, Delfin.

For each item of equipment, you need to ask:- "how am I going to support that item" (and how long is it going to take)? In each case you need to assess its condition, and also jot down an estimate of how long (and yes, how *often) it will take to carry out PM.

Based upon your assessment of the condition of each item, you should be able to make a reasonable guess about how long you are likely to spend on repairs (initially, at least). You may even find stuff that is broken and (or) unused that may not be worth repairing. But (obviously) the aim is to have everything well maintained and under control.

As you go around making your inventory (or "Asset Register") of maintainable items, you should also make a list of anything you shall need to support each item (manuals, test equipment, parts etc.).

Only when you have good (accurate, reliable) data available can you really sit down and make calculations that will (hopefully) be taken seriously by senior management.

Although your "equipment count" looks a little low to me, at this stage I would still suggest four technicians!

I suspect that our good friends Dave and Paul are looking at things from a "maintenance contractors" point of view, rather than that of an in-house biomedical engineering department. That is, they are forgetting the thousand-and-one other "little jobs" that in-house biomeds get roped in - or "volunteered" - to carry out. "Supporting" the clinical staff ("hand-holding") comes immediately to mind (and how long does that take!). I have been in places where the real work only started once the departments (wards etc.) had fallen quiet, and everyone else had gone home! whistle

And (as Neil has reminded us) you have to consider "real world" factors such as sickness, courses, staggered hours (to provide "shift" cover), on-call ... and (even) - days off! smile

* At first, I would start out with 180 days (every six-months) as a default PM frequency. With 90 days for critical (high risk) stuff like defibs, anaesthesia machines and ventilators. See how you get on with that, and then adjust (extend) the periods later if you can (that is, once all equipment has been brought under control).

Philosopher
Philosopher
No Geoff, the view was/is that of a full service "in house department" quite able to deal with all aspects of the tasks required no matter what. Are we really saying that one person could not hold the fort while the other was sick or on leave? I think they probably could.

To have four staff at a hospital of that size would be unnecessary. All you would have is four bored people.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Super Hero

All I can say is that I suspect that you and I must have had different experiences of hospitals outside the cosy confines of the "Western world", then Dave. whistle

Also ... I suspect that Delfin will only get the one chance to make his "pitch" to senior management.

If he goes for two, then he shall be creating a hostage to fortune (aka making a rod for his own back). But if he goes for four (and gets approval for that), he should be comfortable in the medium to long term, secure in the expectation that he shall be able to handle whatever gets thrown at him during the years ahead.

If he goes for four, and has to make concessions, he can always give way and drop to three ... but if he goes for two, what bargaining power is he left with? think

In passing, in all the hospitals I have even known (or even visited), I have never come across a bunch of bored biomeds. It has invariably been the reverse ... a few good guys being run ragged. Except, of course, in the ones where biomedical engineering was set up by Yours Truly (that is, done properly). frown

Philosopher
Philosopher
I'm sorry, I thought we were being asked for the reality of the situation not the starting point of negotiation with senior management. How silly of me, I must have misread the original question (or not........ as the case may be).

Last edited by DaveC in Oz; 21/06/13 12:26 PM.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020