Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66169 22/10/13 1:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
GoonerP Offline OP
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Hi All, I have been a lurker to these forums for some time have finally decided to post something.

I started working as a apprentice biomed tech when I was 16 I have now been at my place of work for 10 years in this time I have achieved; NVQ2,NVQ3,HNC And HND all in electrical and electronic engineering plus countless manufacturer training courses. now my question is, I have been debating if i should do a BSc in the same discipline to help me get up the ladder. i'm currently Band 4. any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
10 years experience and a band 4....something is wrong there. IMHO.
I higher qualification does not automatically make you suitable for a higher grade post. I think an HND and 10years experience is suitable for most but the higher management jobs.
Is it a case of there not being any jobs for you to apply for in your local area?
Robert


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Welcome to the forum. smile

I look at things somewhat differently.

Ten years in the same place? So we can assume that you must be settled, then.

And assuming (again) that you must be happy in your work ... why are you too fussed about "climbing the ladder"? Could it be because you feel that others have left you behind? If so ... who cares? Let them get on with it.

In my opinion (based upon a lifetime of "work"), there's a lot to be said for being content with your lot in life; and if you can achieve that happy state of affairs (or in your case, have achieved it, by the sound of it), why worry about what others may be doing?

On the other hand, after ten years perhaps it might be nice to have a change of scene. So why not think about moving on to "pastures green"? With your background, qualifications and experience, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding another position.

But about the BSc ... I would wait until you've moved on (if at all). Then (if you still feel a need to continue your studies) - go for an MSc. Otherwise (IMHO) you'll just be wasting your time. But as Robert has already suggested, you've already "got enough" in practical terms.

Lastly ... are you (still) truly happy with "biomed"? Perhaps now's the time to think about something else. Just look around at some of the old [censored] who populate our "trade", and ask yourself the question:- "do I want to end up like that"? whistle

Bottom line:- are you happy where you are? If you really want promotion, you shall probably need to move (that is, apply elsewhere at a higher grade).

Good Luck. smile

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
GoonerP Offline OP
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply. IMO too that's pretty low and i'm on the first entry point. its not a case of there being no jobs as I have seen quite a few, its more about the advice I have been given from senior management "a degree is needed to move further." regardless of HND plus exp. so I came here to see what other more experienced biomeds thought. furthermore most biomeds I speak to on courses etc are always surprised by the amount of time I have worked and the banding i'm on.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
GoonerP Offline OP
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Hi Geoff :),

yeah I am pretty settled also quite happy (except for the pay) I agree with what you're saying in regards to being content at work. I think I may need to move on unfortunately ideally upon moving I would like to go higher though. HAHAHAHA in answer to the last question I am happy with biomed this is only going to get bigger with people living longer and the population growing bigger i think the healthcare sector is probably one of the best places to be. I would have no qualms with ending up like any of you older more exp. biomeds, all nice down to earth people well the ones I have met. Thanks for the reply Geoff appreciated.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Ah yes; what Huw likes to call the "Noble Technician". Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. smile

Blokes who "keep the faith" (continue in biomed, when others have been tempted elsewhere) always get High Marks as far as I'm concerned.


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 40
Technologist
Offline
Technologist
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 40
High marks don't pay the bills!

I don't know you personally, your work ethic or capabilities but going of what you've posted I'd of thought band 5 or even 6 would be more appropriate?

If you fancy going for a BSC then I say go for it! You'd probably be able to do it in two years if you worked hard? Perhaps you could do it part time and if your employer is willing to contribute to the cost then even better. Consider including some management modules if you can?

I don't necessarily agree with the "a degree is needed to move on" mind set. An HNC and the ability to actually do the job goes a long way in my opinion.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Likes: 3
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Likes: 3
Forget chasing the degree, in the pursuit of a better paid position, with the associated status (unless its for your own personal development). We have many senior biomeds here, who have achieved Band 5/6 status on the merits of an HNC plus relevant experience

A degree qualification on its own, indicates an educational benchmark, but does not confer an automatic right to a higher paid position in the Biomed field (Please discuss)

There is a certain illusive quality, that most experienced employers look for when appointing staff to a vacancy, regardless of qualification. Unfortunately, this quality can be lacking in those who have chosen to remain in education, to the detriment of developing the practical problem solving, and developed social skills which are required vocationally.

"Academic ability, is no indicator of common sense"

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Meanwhile ... if doing something really worthwhile is what we're driving at here:- get together with other Noble Technicians who have "kept the faith" and form your own biomed services collective (co-operative, call it what you will).

Or, if you don't see yourself as a "team player" (or whatever) - just do it yourself!

The need (not to mention the "market") for properly conducted biomed engineering services is always there (as it always has been, and no doubt always will be). And - just in case there's any doubt - I'm talking about practical, hands-on stuff here.

Then you can do things your own way (ie, the right way), and "grow" as much as your enthusiasm (and energy) allows! Otherwise, when you boil it all down, it's just a question of plodding along until pension time. whistle

No need for BSc's, MSc's and all the rest. That's just Smoke and Mirrors. smile

@Sean: I guess you meant elusive there, my Good Man. Either way (and as you are already aware), you'll know it when you see it. smile

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 601
Philosopher
Offline
Philosopher
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 601
Hi Gooner,

As mentioned before your experience and qulaifications are more than adequate for a band 5, there are band 6& 7's out there with less than you! I'm not an expert on agenda for change but (assuming you work for the NHS) you should ask round for someone to go over your job description and points score with you. I reckon your bosses are taking the proverbial. Of course it does depend on the equipment you work on and your freedom to act. i.e. if you work unsupervised on fairly high tech stuff and do repairs as well as PPMs then there should be enough points for a 5 or even a 6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8,675 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5