Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hero
Hero
The problem is that everything is set up correctly mechanically then you add a human who puts the tube on the wrong spigot and turns on the wrong knob.
If you really want a project it is a "I might have done that but I meant to do this" thought recognition app.
Only when the person and not the equipment gets the blame, then we might see people taking a little more care.

A nurse in intensive care at a hospital I worked was with a patient who was "going off2 and was told to increase the infusion rate of a certain drug, she adjusted the wrong pump which had the opposite to the desired effect so was told to increase it more, this happened a few times with the patient eventually dieing.
The coroner's recommendation - this class of drug should be given through a unique pump so it can be easily identified....... not that the nurse should check what she was doing.
No matter how much technology is used you still have people operating it.
Robert

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Darkmarker

... updating their social media accounts with a second by second account of what they are doing?

Aren't they doing that themselves, anyway?

That's probably why they are being "distracted" when carrying out simple tasks. frown

Master
Master
if you are talking about the colour then this should be obvious and sorry to state this however If you are worried about the oxygen being inserted air and vica Vedas they are keyed to be different in the probe diameter and this cannot be crossed as they physically will not fit. Refer to the him 22 guidance as I am sure I am correct and if not shot me... Last of all we have more issues with low and thoracic suction and the reasons for use but have a rubbish training department who have a boc training package for the online staff training and therapy through the trust. Makes sense NOT! But who are we to comment

ERRATIC MEANS STATIC SO BE ERRATIC AND NOT STATIC
WE ARE ALL IN THE NHS AND THIS IS
"ERRATIC AND STATIC"
Super Hero
Super Hero

I should imagine we are talking about connecting the face mask (etc.) tubing to the spigot on the (wrong) flowmeter. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Master
Master
Apologies for the previous 'smelling' and grammar but I have seen that Therapy sell a probe entry system that is basically a flap of plastic in white or black. Before you insert the probe you have to lift the flap 'clearly stating the gas type' and if they are lost from there then give them a cigarette and bottle of o2 and sing a song.
good luck
Paul

ERRATIC MEANS STATIC SO BE ERRATIC AND NOT STATIC
WE ARE ALL IN THE NHS AND THIS IS
"ERRATIC AND STATIC"
KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
So we have
1. AP/CP/Pharmacy QA system of setting up MGPS.
2. MGPS that is indexed at the outlet so you know you only get what you want out at the terminal end.
3. Device thst is indexed to only fit into the MGPS.
4. Device that is colur coded and marked to the gas it gives.
4. Device that is now fitted with a cover that needs to be lifted to show you have accepted what you want.
Lets get real if thry still get it wrong and to the extend that patient obs still dont indicate to the professional user / prescriber of the drug (O2 is a drug) then take me to the vets hospital next time im ill.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, oxygen is a drug (or always used to be considered as such, at least). whistle

Just out of interest:- Does it get prescribed? And do details (flowrate, duration etc.) get entered in patients' notes?

And what about "home use" (or even "private", "personal", whatever) ... how is that meant to be controlled, I wonder? think

KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Yes it should be prescribed (logged), or else how do you know how they are getting better or worse if SATS, ECG, BP or whatever else you are monitoring etc drop or increase.
Community based patients (and or their carers)should be given documented training on what to do, who to contact if there is a problem etc.
As far as private goes, there are thousands out there on variuos devices and suppliments that havent been prescribed by a healthcare professional you cant be responsible for these candidates if they decide to do what they want in confinement.
Other than legislating to stop the purchase.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 95 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ryan Lowell, sam1664, MBanks, Blazingapostle, Volkswagen
9,894 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,815