Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51406 06/01/11 11:00 AM
Chandy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

Could someone excplain me the difference between Surgical Diathermy and Electrosurgical Generator?

Many thanks
Chandy

Chandy #51409 06/01/11 12:31 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Those are basically two names for the same thing.

I always use "Electrosurgical Unit" myself, partly to avoid possible confusion with "Shortwave Diathermy Unit(s)" (which I have always called "Shortwave Therapy Unit(s)").

"Surgical Diathermy" and ""Shortwave Diathermy" are different technologies, operating at different frequencies, with different applications (and therefore not to be confused)! One found and used in Theatres, the other in Physio. So (in my opinion), the word "diathermy" should be avoided in each case.

I believe that the word diathermy (Latin, Greek ... whatever) means "to heat". That is, rather than "to cut"!

And ... for completeness, Electrosurgical Units are not "Cautery Units" either (although they can, and do, cauterize) ... again, two different things.

The bottom line here being:- terminology is important! So be pedantic (good engineers always are)! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Geoff Hannis #51412 06/01/11 3:21 PM
Chandy Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear Geoff,

Thanks a lot for your quick and detailed reply. You have clarified my question with a clear answer.

Regards
Chandy

Chandy #51414 06/01/11 8:51 PM
Mentor
Mentor
What about Hyfrecators Geoff? smilewink
Ed

Ed SWM #51415 06/01/11 9:05 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Cautery units. Fancy ones, perhaps (modern ones, that is), but still essentially Electrocautery units, I would say.

After all, removing warts and such don't really call for a Bovie, an Erbe or an *Eschmann, do they?

And (as you know) there's nothing like using the right tool for the job (any job)! whistle

Electro-desiccation, fulguration and coagulation. That is, not cutting per se. And how many watts (and there's the key point)?

That's the trouble with many of these young biomeds today, Ed. Half of them couldn't tell a Catholysis Unit from a Sweat Meter (I just picked two at random there) ... or a TENS Unit from a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (I could go on ...)! frown

* Other manufacturers of fine Electrosurgical Units may be available.

Ed SWM #51416 07/01/11 7:43 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

"She was only the architect's daughter, but she knew where to draw the line"!

So when does a CPAP unit become a Respirator? And when does a Respirator become a Ventilator? Or when does an Analgesia Unit become an Anaesthesia Unit? And when does the simple Cautery Unit morph into the "Hyfrecator" (originally a trade-marked name, of course). And when does the Hyfrecator become the full-blown Electrosurgical Unit? (one answer could be:- when it grows enough cojones to warrant a patient return plate). And, of course, does it matter?

But of course! We need to classify, categorise (do we not?), in order to enter information into our nice, neatly arranged databases. Unlike us mere mortals, computers don't (without a load of extra programming, that is) readily appreciate that when you say "Hyfrecator" I (hopefully) understand what it is you are talking about.

And when Chandy asks about "Surgical Diathermy", we grasp immediately that he is talking about a, er ... Bovie! whistle

As we know, Ed, they are lots of ways of skinning cats (especially when they're tossed amongst the pigeons)! smile

So there are many other interesting (?) ways of categorising our sort of kit (good word, that). For instance, electromedical equipment can be considered from the point of view of electrical characteristics (frequency, input and/or output voltage levels, and power). They can be thought of simply in terms of input-output transforms. Or classified in terms of "diagnostic", "therapeutic", or "surgical". They can also be looked at strictly in terms of clinical application or procedure ... (or which hospital department are they typically used in) etc., etc. Stuff can be categoised in terms of "Risk" (which is, of course, a whole new bag of pain). Another way of looking at them could be:- how am I going to test (check/PM/whatever*) that thing (and how much is it going to cost)?

Words, words, words. Meanings change. For instance, that perfectly good (but, perhaps, over-used) word "equipment" has (in our little world, at least) increasing become displaced by the naff alternative "device". And yesterday's "problems" have become today's "issues". Sadly, there are many other examples of this worrying trend. frown

So (for now) I shall leave you with this one to ponder (thought for the day?) ... is an infusion pump an electromedical device?

* Of course I really mean "Performance Verification Procedure" these days, don't I?

Chandy #51433 08/01/11 12:32 AM
Dreamer
Dreamer

Mr_Peeps #51448 09/01/11 5:09 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes ... and Wikipedia is, I would say, the outstanding current example of what may be achieved by real collaboration (not to mention financial donations from hundreds of thousands of ordinary people).

It's ventures like this that are really shaping the bright future of the world as a whole, and as long as people everywhere have access, surely it must make the world a better place.

My only cautionary comment would be that Wiki content should not be taken as "gospel", in that sometimes there may be an agenda being pursued by those making the written contributions. There may also be (but perhaps in ignorance) a bit of "revision" (rewriting) of history going on, as well. Others are sometimes plain wrong! But you always have recourse to making your own drafts, corrections, whatever.

Wiki is a great ready reference, but (as always) the "serious student" will always seek out other sources and opinions as well. smile

Chandy #71622 06/03/17 11:52 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

More on ESU basics (.pdf). smile

Note PM Risk scoring.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ronan), 425 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
diodoled, Al BMET, Eng_VPG, Graham Oliver, Jawad
10,188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,069
Posts73,773
Members10,188
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020